Associate Professor of Philosophy
- Ph.D., Vanderbilt University
- M.A., Vanderbilt University
- B.A., Oklahoma Baptist University
- Plato, Ancient Philosophy
Plato, Ancient Philosophy, Religion and Higher Education, Philosophy of Education
- Editor, with Michael Beaty, of The Schooled Heart: Moral Formation in American Higher Education. Baylor University Press, 2007.
- Editor, with Michael Beaty, of Christianity and the Soul of the University: Faith as a Foundation for Intellectual Community. Baker Academic, 2006.
- Editor, with Bob R. Agee, of Faithful Learning and the Christian Scholarly Vocation. Eerdmans, 2003.
- Greek Philosophy and Its Influence on Christian Theology, in The Worldview Study Bible, ed. David Dockery and Jeremy Howard (Nashville, TN: Holman, 2018).
- The End of Baptist Dissent, Perspectives in Religious Studies, vol. 40, no. 4 (Winter 2013): 367-387.
- Plato's Symposium, in Finding a Common Thread: Reading Great Texts from Homer to O'Connor, ed. Robert C. Roberts, Scott H. Moore, and Donald D. Schmeltekopf (South Bend, IN: St. Augustine's Press, 2013), pp. 32-49.
- Hope's Promise for Christians in the Not Yet and In Between, Logos: A Journal of Catholic Thought and Culture, vol. 14, no. 3 (Summer 2011): 104-132.
- Quid Ipse Sis Nosse Desisti, in The Normativity of the Natural: Human Goods, Human Virtues, and Human Flourishing, ed. Mark J. Cherry, Philosophical Studies in Contemporary Culture, vol. 16 (Dordrecht: Springer, 2009), pp. 77-99.
- Reasonable Doubts about Reasonable Nonbelief, Faith and Philosophy, vol. 25, no. 3 (July 2008): 276-289.
- Protestant Free Church Christians and Gaudium et Spes: An Historical and Philosophical Perspective, Logos: A Journal of Catholic Thought and Culture, vol. 10, no. 1 (Winter 2007): 132-161. Co-authors: Michael D. Beaty and Scott H. Moore.
- Can Baptist Theology Sustain the Life of the Mind? The Quest for a Vital Baptist Academy, Perspectives in Religious Studies, vol. 33, no. 2 (Summer 2006): 203-226.
- Intellectual Integrity in the Christian Scholar's Life, Christian Scholar's Review, vol. 33, no. 2 (Fall 2003): 55-74.
- Correspondence Theories, Natural-Selective Truth, and Unsurmounted Skepticism, Philosophia Christi, vol. 5, no. 1 (June 2003): 93-112.
- Does Reasonable Nonbelief Exist? Faith and Philosophy, vol. 18, no. 1 (January 2001): 75-92.
Work in Progress
- The Other Euthyphro Dilemma (article)
- Plato's Euthyphro and the Character of Piety (book)
- Three Rival Versions of University Education (book)