The U.S. Military-Baylor Graduate Program in Nutrition (GPN) is two-phased, consisting of two separate and distinct components: the U.S. Military-Baylor University Masters Program in Nutrition and the U.S. Army Dietetic Internship. The first phase, the masters didactic coursework (45 credit hours), is approximately nine-months in duration and is completed at the Medical Center of Excellence (MEDCoE) within the Graduate School on Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston (JBSA-Fort Sam Houston), which is located in San Antonio, Texas. The second phase, the dietetic internship and research component, is approximately one-year in length, includes 1353 hours of supervised practice, and is completed at one of the four Military Medical Treatment Facilities:
- Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC), located at Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas
- Madigan Army Medical Center (MAMC), located at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Tacoma, Washington
- Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC), located in Bethesda, Maryland
- Womack Army Medical Center (WMAC), located at Fort Bragg, North Carolina
Students who successfully complete both phases of the GPN program are awarded a Master of Science Degree in Nutrition from Baylor University, and a Dietetic Internship Verification Statement, making them eligible to sit for the National Registration Examination for Dietitians.
Learn more about the roles RDs play in the military by reading this recent article from the June 2018 issue of Today's Dietitian. http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/0618p26.shtml
- Tuition-free masters degree plus dietetic internship
- Salary plus benefits
- Program completed in approximately two years
- 100% first-time pass rate for the registration exam
- Graduates enjoy leadership positions in clinical, foodservice, health promotion, performance, research, and humanitarian nutrition
- Hear about what past graduates are doing today!
The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) is the accrediting body for the dietetic internship portion of the program (Phase 2). The internship is currently granted full accreditation status through the calendar year 2026.
ACEND contact information:
120 South Riverside Drive, Suite 2190
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
1-800-877-1600, Ext 5400