Graduate Writing Center
The Graduate Writing Center is a resource for graduate student writers who desire to improve their writing skills. Consultants help with writing projects at all stages of the composition process - generating ideas, organizing, and revising - whether students are working on academic papers, reports, personal statements and applications, papers intended for publication, theses and dissertations, or grant proposals. The Graduate Writing Center is a partnership between the English Department and the Graduate School.
The Center is staffed by senior doctoral candidates who have extensive experience editing, teaching, publishing their own work, and working with peers.
To Make an Appointment
1. Send your document to email@example.com 3 to 4 business days prior to when you hope to meet.
2. Along with your document, tell us the following:
Degree (M.A., Ph.D., etc.)
Your primary concerns (e.g. clarity, sentence structure, incorporating evidence, flow between paragraphs, general genre questions, etc.)
Any other info that you think would be helpful as we read your work, including timelines
3. The GWC coordinator will let you know they’ve received your email and pair you with a consultant.
4. The consultant will email you directly to set up a meeting that works for both of your schedules. *If you do not receive a response within 24 hours of your initial request, please follow up with the GWC coordinator.
5. Before you meet with a consultant, they will spend time reading your document and giving thoughtful feedback that you will discuss during your meeting.
Please refer to our FAQ page on our blog for more information about timelines and submissions.
Online Graduate Programs
Students in online graduate programs may also utilize the Graduate Writing Center. Please contact a consultant via email for further assistance.
Hours and Location
The Graduate Writing Consultants set up individual appointments with students. They meet with students in the Graduate Research Center in Poage Library, or at other convenient locations on campus.