Summer Dissertation Fellows
In an effort to support students working to complete their dissertation, the Graduate School offers a select number of Summer Dissertation Fellow positions. A Summer Dissertation Fellow designation provides a reserved spot in the week-long intensive Dissertation Writing Lab, membership in a bi-weekly writing support group, and consideration for financial support depending on need (e.g. not being paid on a 12-month stipend).
Congratulations to our Summer 2023 Fellows:
Read about our Summer 2023 Dissertation Fellows in this Bear Tracks blog article.
- Eric Amouzou, Church Music
- Abigail L. Bodeau, Religion
- Richard Eva, Philosophy
- Bethany Gochnour, Curriculum & Instruction
- Katherine Goodwin, History
- Daniel J. Gregory, Preaching
- James (Caleb) Little, Religion
- Christina Olson, Religion
- Harrison Otis, English
- Ryan Ramsey, Religion
- Harrison (Clay) Smith, Religion
- Alison Trimper, Curriculum & Instruction
- Xi Zhu, Sociology
A list of previous Summer Dissertation Fellows can be found here.
To be considered, students must submit a letter of application and a letter of support from either their dissertation advisor or Graduate Program Director. Summer 2023 Applications will open January 20, 2023.
Applications are invited from doctoral candidates who meet the following criteria:
- Anticipate defending their dissertation within the following twelve months
- Are seeking support no earlier than the summer before their final year of guaranteed funding
- Able to commit to all program requirements
- Will be actively writing during the summer months
Students who accept a position as a Summer Dissertation Fellow must commit to the following activities:
- Participate in the Graduate School’s week-long Dissertation Writing Lab (May 15-19, 2023)
- Commit to regular, biweekly meetings of a writing group that includes other Fellows
- Agree not to take on work beyond any existing assistantship for the duration of the program
- Enroll for at least one dissertation hour
Through the link below, upload your application letter and include the following information, paying particular attention to need, timing, and readiness.
- The name and topic of your dissertation
- A description of the dissertation and progress completed at the time of application
- An explanation of how a Summer Dissertation Fellow selection will allow you to complete your dissertation, your anticipated defense date, and whether you are seeking financial support (if so, include a statement of need).
Applicants should also request a letter of support from either their dissertation advisor or Graduate Program Director. At the time you submit your application letter through the link below, be prepared to include the email address of your recommender. Your recommender will receive a link to upload their letter of support for your application.
Applications for 2024 Summer Dissertation Fellows will open in December 2023.