Summer Dissertation Fellowship
In an effort to support students working to complete their dissertation, the Graduate School offers a select number of Summer Dissertation Fellowships intended to enable students to work on their projects without seeking summer employment. The fellowship includes a stipend of $3000 paid over two months (June and July).
Congratulations to our Summer 2022 Fellows:
Meet the 2022 Summer Dissertation Fellows on the BearTracks blog.
Samuel E. Tandei, Church Music
Karynecia E. Conner, Curriculum & Instruction
Shireen Khuwaja, Curriculum & Instruction
LaJoie Lex, English
Ryan Sinni, English
Debajeet Barman, Geosciences
Zhao Wang, Geosciences
Anna G. Beaudry, Health, Human Performance, and Recreation
Eric Villafranca, Information Systems and Business Analytics
Josiah D. Hall, Religion
Andrew Ronnevik, Religion - Theology and Ethics
Anna Wells, Religion
Jillian Landers, Social Work
Timothy A. Lauve-Moon, Sociology
To be considered for a fellowship, students must submit a letter of application and a letter of support from either their dissertation advisor or Graduate Program Director. Summer 2023 Applications will open in December 2022 or January 2023.
Applications are invited from doctoral candidates who meet the following criteria:
- Anticipate defending their dissertation within the following twelve months
- Are seeking support no earlier than the summer before their final year of guaranteed funding
- Able to commit to the program requirements
- Will be actively writing during the summer months
Students who accept this fellowship must commit to the following activities:
- Participate in the Graduate School’s Dissertation Writing Lab the May before the fellowship begins
- Commit to regular, biweekly meetings of a writing group that includes all fellowship recipients
- Agree not to take on other work or assistantships for the duration of the fellowship
- Enroll for at least one dissertation hour
Through the link below, upload your application letter and include the following information, paying particular attention to need, timing, and readiness for the fellowship.
- The name and topic of your dissertation
- A description of the dissertation and progress completed at the time of application
- An explanation of how the fellowship will allow you to complete your dissertation and the anticipated defense date if the fellowship is received
Applicants should also request a letter of support from either their dissertation advisor or Graduate Program Director. At the time you submit your application letter through the link below, be prepared to include the email address of your recommender. Your recommender will receive a link to upload their letter of support for your application. As a reminder, to be selected for the Summer Dissertation Fellowship, you will be registered for the Dissertation Writing Lab in May.
Application Link will be activated in December 2022 or January 2023.