Apply for Doctoral Research Support
The applicant must be
- A doctoral candidate (proposal and/or prospectus must be formally approved by the department);
- Registered for at least one credit hour at Baylor University during the semester of travel.
Summer requests can be based on fall registration.
The Graduate School will match funds with the student's department, up to $400. A doctoral student is eligible for one such award during her/his studies at Baylor University.
Note: Travel must be directly related to the completion of the dissertation
Instructions for Students
- Email a letter to GSTA@baylor.edu, that contains:
a. Student personal contact information, as well as departmental/program affiliation
b. The need for travel described and justified
c. An estimate of expenses to be incurred in the proposed travel
d. An attached copy of the approved dissertation proposal
- Provide a brief statement of support from your major professor. This should be emailed to GSTA@baylor.edu.
- Provide confirmation (An email is sufficient) from the departmental Graduate Program Director (GPD) confirming matching funds.
Note: The student should submit his/her request four weeks prior to travel, if possible. If the request is submitted nearer to the meeting date, funding may not reach the student until after the meeting. A check will be mailed directly to the student.
- Keep all original receipts for expenses incurred.
- Include itemized receipts for single meals over $45.
- Keep meal expense at or below the $45 per day limit.
- Within 15 days, submit an Expense Report and all original receipts to your department in order to account for and substantiate your travel expenses in accordance with the Baylor University Travel and Entertainment Policies and Procedures.
- Prepare a brief report of the meeting and email the report to GSTA@baylor.edu, or mail the report to Mrs. Harman via the address below. Please give a brief overview of your research and describe the impact and benefit to your dissertation research.
- Submit scanned receipts of expenses incurred to Mrs. Harman's office in Morrison 200. If necessary, students may mail the documents to the address below.
- If your professional expenses were less than the amount of the award, include a check (payable to Baylor University) for the difference.
Sandra B. Harman
Baylor University Graduate School
One Bear Place #97264
Waco, TX 76798-7264
Baylor's Tax & Compliance Office has determined that travel grants which are provided to students in order to further their educational research endeavors are classified as fellowships. Such a fellowship is reportable by the students as taxable income.