Baptist College and University Scholars
A collaborative partnership program of the Baylor Graduate School, The International Association of Baptist Colleges and Universities (IABCU) and IABCU Partner Schools
This program seeks to strengthen ties among IABCU member schools by identifying Baptist College and University Scholars for Ph.D. or MFA programs. To be eligible for the BCU Scholars Program, students must have attended a school (for their undergraduate or previous graduate degree) that is a member of the IABCU.
Our Current BCU Scholars prepare for faculty life in Baptist colleges and Universities where our alumni are already serving.
The Baptist College and University (BCU) Scholars Program seeks to
- Increase the number of Baptist-educated doctoral students staying in Baptist universities.
- Connect Baptist universities by partnering in graduate education.
- Retain bright doctoral students in Baptist universities as students and, subsequently, as faculty.*
- Increase loyalty and involvement of Ph.D. graduates with the IABCU and Baptist universities.
- Stem the dying of the light by providing a continued education for bright students in a Baptist university committed to its religious identity.
Opportunities for BCU Scholars
- BCU Scholars may be invited to a luncheon with administrators attending the annual Seminar on Leadership in Baptist Universities, sponsored by Baylor's Center for Ministry Effectiveness and Educational Leadership.
- IABCU-affiliated colleges and universities may wish to invite the BCU scholars to visit their campuses for a tour and conversations with faculty, students, and administrators.
- The Graduate School will provide key readings related to Christian Higher Education.
- BCU Scholars will travel (expenses paid by the Baptist College & University Scholars program) at least one time to the IABCU annual meeting and will be introduced to faculty and administrators of Baptist colleges and universities.
- Each student will be invited to attend workshops on the integration of faith and learning, sponsored by the Graduate School and the Institute for Faith and Learning.
- Each spring the Baylor Graduate School deans, the Baylor president, provost, and provost emeritus will meet with the Scholars for a meal together.
- Students will be invited to participate in a reading and discussion group on works related to faith and Christian scholarship. Books will be provided by the BCU Scholars program.
- BCU Scholars will be identified at Commencement.
- Participants may be invited to attend a retreat on vocation and calling at Laity Lodge co-sponsored by the Baylor Institute for Faith and Learning.
|Eligible Baylor Ph.D. Programs|
|Chemistry and Biochemistry||Computer Science|
|Curriculum and Teaching||Ecological, Earth, and Environmental Sciences|
|Educational Psychology||Electrical and Computer Engineering|
|Health Services Research||Higher Education Studies and Leadership|
|Kinesiology, Exercise, Nutrition & Health||Mathematics|