Women in Science and Engineering
Baylor Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) met for the first time in the fall of 2013 with a simple brown bag lunch. Our members are faculty, graduate students, and postdocs in the science and engineering departments at Baylor University. Our goal is to provide a platform for women and minorities to share their research and personal journey in STEM. Additionally, we strive to support each other, increase the number of women and minorities in STEM at Baylor, and mentor new faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate students.
The WISE chair is Dr. Rizalia Klausmeyer, Program Director of the undergraduate Science Fellows program. The Graduate Student Co-Organizers are Grace V. Aquino (Env. Sci) and Himasha Perera (Chemistry).
The WISE Graduate Student Seminar Series was founded in Fall 2017 as an avenue for outstanding women graduate students to share their research with a broad audience. The Seminar Series is hosted once a month in the Baylor Sciences Building, where we invite graduate student and faculty speakers, socialize, and discuss relevant research topics. To nominate a woman in STEM for this speaker series, a faculty member must nominate the student by emailing BaylorWISE@baylor.edu. Please include the student's name, department, and the reason for the recommendation (2-3 sentences is all that is needed).
Spring 2020 Events:
- Women in STEM Graduate Student Speaker Series, 3:30-4:30pm, BSB C.206
- Henry Lujan, Environmental Science: Jan., 28, 2020
- Lexi Fitzmaurice, Mathematics: Feb. 25, 2020
- Hanh Nguyen, Engineering: March 24, 2020
- Felicia Osburn, Biology: April 21, 2020 (postponed until Fall 2020)
- Workshop: Setting Up Your Semester for Success (co-hosted with GSA), Jan. 24, 2020 (12:30-1:30 pm, BSB A234)
- Workshop: Step Up Your Science Writing; How to Write Papers that get Published and Proposals that Get Funded (co-hosted with GSA and GWC), April 29, 2020 (12:30 – 2:00 PM, BSB A234), posted online
- Baylor WITA Conference: Up to three BU WISE applicants will be selected to attend this conference free of charge, to promote networking and collaboration among the WITA and WISE academic groups on campus.
To join WISE and be kept up to date about our activities:
- Subscribe to our email list
- Follow us on Facebook: Women in Science and Engineering
- Follow us on Instagram: BaylorWISE
Graphic designed by Vivian Young and logo designed by Riz Klausmeyer, Suzanne Nolan, and Dani Crain