Baylor > Graduate School > Current Students > Incoming Students > Employment Forms

Graduate Employment Forms

Completing the Forms I-9 and W-4

Once an offer of employment has been made and start date has been determined, students will complete these documents as required by the Department of Homeland Security on or before the first day of employment and present acceptable forms of supporting documentation. International students must qualify for eligibility to work each semester. International students may contact International Student and Scholar Services to verify eligibility.

Some examples of acceptable supporting documentation for the Form I-9 are:

  • Baylor University ID OR state issued valid driver's license (with photo) AND your original social security card, OR
  • BU ID or state issued valid driver's license (with photo) AND a certified copy of your birth certificate, OR
  • Valid US unexpired passport OR unexpired foreign passport (A Permanent resident alien must be able to provide his/her ID card number and expiration date.)

For a complete list of acceptable documents, please click here . Remember, all documentation must be original and unexpired as the Department of Homeland Security prohibits the acceptance of copies, faxes or reproductions of any type. (The Form I-9 is not complete until acceptable documents are presented.)

Each student is responsible for properly completing a Form W-4 and providing a copy of his or her Social Security card for income tax purposes. For the student's convenience, Human Resources will collect the Form W-4, and send it to the Payroll Office. While the Payroll Office may be able to offer general assistance with questions, the student(employee) is ultimately responsible for tax deductions. Students may wish to seek the advice of parents, guardians, an accountant or an income tax service. (Please note that while the Payroll Office may accept a copy or fax of the Social Security card for income tax purposes, the documentation presented for the Form I-9 must be original.) All international students: please visit the Payroll Office on the 6th floor of Clifton Robinson Tower for specific instructions regarding the W-4, taxes and exemptions.

Completing these forms in a timely manner will help prevent any delay in distribution of pay, and keep the University in compliance with Federal regulations. Any questions regarding the electronic Form I-9 may be directed to Human Resources at 254-710-2000. Questions regarding the Form W-4 may be directed to the Payroll Office at 254-710-2217