Matriculated before Summer 2015
Subsidized students must enroll for insurance in the Health Center's Insurance office 220, located on the second floor of the McLane Student Life Center during open enrollment periods. Students receiving a subsidy should not enroll online.
Graduate students may qualify for a health insurance subsidy by meeting one of the criteria below:
- TA1: Serve as the "teacher of record" for at least 6 credit hours during a 12 month period.
- RA1: Serve as externally funded research assistant whose grants cover all but $200 of their annual health insurance premium.
Health Insurance Subsidy Benefit
- This benefit subsidizes annual health insurance premiums for graduate students and their dependents through the Baylor University Student Health Insurance plan.
- The subsidy for qualifying graduate students leaves the student responsible for an unpaid amount of the "student only" insurance premium of $200. Furthermore, the subsidy will pay 50% of the annual premiums for the student's qualifying dependents (as defined by the University's health plan), leaving the student responsible for the remaining 50%.
- Health coverage is subsidized for 12 months and is renewable annually as long as the graduate student continues to qualify under either definition - teaching or researching.
- For those joining the health plan in January (one semester) or Summer (Summer 1 and Summer 2), the $200 student contribution will be pro-rated for the Spring or Summer term ($100 for Spring and $50 for Summer).
- The Graduate School receives a list of qualifying students from the Graduate Program Directors in the summer and notifies students of their expected eligibility in August. GPDs are responsible for confirming the accuracy of this list, especially ensuring that the granting organization has agreed to fund the insurance for the RA1s.
- Students enroll for insurance at the SLC 2nd floor, office 220, during open enrollment.
- The Graduate School verifies the students' eligibility before the 12th class day.
- Upon confirmation of eligibility, subsidies will be applied to the premium and any remaining balance will be billed to the student's University account.
- If you are unsure whether you'll qualify, please check with your Graduate Program Director; if you have questions about this benefit, contact Betty Fornelius in Health Services (254-710-1493).
- Teachers of Record receiving this subsidy are required to re-enroll in the Student Health Insurance plan with Health Services each year they qualify.
- Externally funded RAs must re-enroll each semester.
- Confirm your teaching load with your Graduate Program Director (GPD) to ensure you qualify for benefits.
- Enroll for insurance at the SLC 2nd floor, office 220.
- Confirm that you have paid for the amount of insurance desired by checking your student account.
- Note: Students who indicate a December graduation on their fall enrollment form but postpone graduation until the spring will not be automatically re-enrolled in insurance for the spring semester. If eligible, students must contact their GPD, Alanna Martinez, & Betty Fornelius to extend their insurance coverage.
- Students should confirm enrollment online at the following website: Blue Cross Blue Shield Member Access. You will need to set up a free online account.
- Students who become ineligible for the subsidy after enrolling in insurance may be responsible for paying the full premium.