Working With Your Academic Adviser

Academic advisers can:
  • Help students plan their study abroad program by identifying unfulfilled course requirements, flexibility within their degree audit, and mapping out an academic plan. Explain rules or requirements particular to a department or college that might affect a student's eligibility for a specific program or their choice of courses.
  • For example: if a second-year student decides to study abroad in their third year, they can work with their academic adviser to set aside 9-12 credits of general education or elective courses to be taken abroad, along with 3-6 major or minor course credits.
  • Determine how a course will fit into a student's degree audit. Academic advisers can still provide insight into course selection. 
Academic Advisers cannot:
  • Identify Baylor Study Abroad programs that offer specific courses; often, they are not familiar with searching for course listings on the Bears Abroad website.
  • Override the course equivalency process. Even if your adviser has pre-approved the courses you will take abroad; you must complete form C and have it signed by the appropriate faculty chairs. Faculty-Led programs will not need this option.
  • Guarantee that the course will count within a student's major or minor if a class has not yet been approved.
  • Provide specific information regarding the study abroad application process, housing options, program fees, billing, passport/visa information, or other travel information. For questions about program logistics, speak to a Study Abroad Advisor.

Questions to ask at your advising appointment:

  • Are you aware of any approved programs that students in my major have done in the past that would be a good fit for me academically?
  • How will these courses fit into my degree audit?
  • Are there any departmental restrictions on courses I can take abroad?
  • Which courses should I take before and after my study abroad to ensure I stay on track to graduate on time?
  • If considering an internship abroad: Can I receive academic credit for an internship abroad? Is there a particular process or any paperwork I need to complete for getting the internship credit approved?

Center for Global Engagement

Hankamer Academic Center, H 160.01
1428 S. 5th St.
Waco, TX 76798

One Bear Place #97012
Waco, TX 76798-7012

(254) 710-1461