Summer and Fall 2021 COVID Guidelines

The Center for Global Engagement is committed to supporting Baylor University's international student and scholar population.  International students and scholars are valuable members of our community and we will assist them in whatever way we can during this time.  This page contains information for new and current (returning) international students and scholars for the Summer and Fall 2021 terms.  This webpage will be updated as new information becomes available.  Please continue to check this website for updated information, regulations regarding enrollment, online courses, etc.  Also, continue to check your Baylor email for direct messaging about Baylor's plans.  If you have questions that are not addressed here or you have unique circumstances that you need to discuss, please email ISSS at   

NOTE:  The Department of Homeland Security (DHS)/Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has confirmed that schools will continue with guidance issued in March 2020 for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022.  Be aware that new/revised guidance could be given at any time. 

International Student (F1) Course Requirements for Summer 2021 and Fall 2021

What is Baylor's institutional model for Summer 2021 and Fall 2021 classes?

Summer 2021 – Baylor will be primarily online but will offer some face to face courses.  If this will be your first term in the U.S. at Baylor and your I-20 says “Initial,” you must be enrolled full-time (12 hours for undergraduates and 9 hours for graduate students) for the summer and you must be in at least 1 face to face course.

Fall 2021 - Baylor will resume a course schedule with more face to face and hybrid options but will continue to offer some online options for students who cannot get to the U.S. due to COVID/Travel restrictions.  Students coming to campus will be expected to follow government guidance from March 2020 which states that F-1 students must be enrolled in AT LEAST one face to face course as part of their full-time enrollment.  

What are the requirements for students who will NOT be in the U.S. for Fall 2021?

  • Current Baylor students - Based on the current guidance, students who are out of the U.S for the Fall 2021 term will be able to keep their I-20s ACTIVE as long as they maintain full time enrollment.
  • Initial Status students who will be out of the country for Fall 2021 term will simply have their I-20s deferred (change the dates) to Spring (January).  This DOES NOT prevent students from taking courses online during fall term from outside of the U.S.   It does impact the student's I-20.
  • New (Transfer) Students who will be out of the country for fall term will not be able to have their new status validated while out of the country.  When the transfer student decides to return to the U.S. for coursework, the student should contact their Baylor International Student Advisor to have their SEVIS record reactivated. Please contact us for more details or clarifications if you are transferring from a U.S. university or high school but will not be able to be in the U.S. this fall term.

COVID Procedures for International Students and Scholars Coming to Campus for Summer 2021 or Fall 2021

To maintain a healthy and safe community, Baylor University expects all students to follow the CDC guidelines regarding international travel found here:

Quarantine depends on your vaccination status.  Currently, the CDC recognizes FDA Authorized and World Health Organization Authorized vaccines in determining who should quarantine.  The list of authorized vaccines as of May 18, 2021, includes Pfizer/BioNTech, Astrazeneca-SK Bio, Serum Institute of India, Janssen, Moderna, Sinopharm, and Sinovac.  This list may change.  Testing between 3-5 days after arriving in the U.S. is still necessary for anyone entering the U.S.  If you will be in Waco during that time period after arrival, you may complete your test on Baylor campus. 

If I travel internationally this summer, what should I do after entering the United states? 

Any student who will travel internationally before coming to Baylor campus for Fall 2021 should follow CDC Guidelines for quarantine and testing.  Students should submit their COVID test results after testing in the U.S. to

*Some incoming students from locations outsdie the USA have mentioned they are being asked to show a form at the airport attesting that they have taken a COVID test or have recovered from COVID. Please click on THIS LINK to find a form from the CDC website that can be filled out and filfull this request.You will need to print and complete this form before going to the airport.*

If I need to quarantine, does Baylor provide quarantine options for students?

Baylor is not able to provide quarantine options for students who need to quarantine after entering the U.S.  Students should make their own plans for quarantine.  Please CLICK HERE to access the ISSS Self-Quarantine Guide that lists resources that may be of help to students who must quarantine.

What is required if I am planning to live on-campus at Baylor this fall semester, and I have traveled internationally?

You must complete one of the following options BEFORE you will be allowed to move in:

  • Option 1:  Submit documentation that you have received one of the U.S. FDA or WHO vaccines to Health Services at
  • Option 2:  Provide proof that you have quarantined for at least 7 days before moving into your housing.

You must ALSO submit proof of a negative COVID test (taken 3-5 days after entering the U.S.) to Baylor’s Health Services; however, this will not prevent you from moving in if you have received one of the authorized vaccines or you have already quarantined.

What do I need to be considered fully vaccinated by Baylor?

You must have a U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) Authorized vaccine or a World Health Organization (WHO)authorized vaccine.  If you do NOT have an FDA Authorized or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized vaccine, you will be required to test weekly while at Baylor.  If you have received ANY COVID VACCINE regardless of which one, please email your name, BU ID and the name, date, and any documentation that shows which vaccine you received and when to  If you have already submitted this to Baylor or received your vaccination from Baylor Health Services, you do not need to submit it again.

What are the procedures that international students must follow if they have been in the United States and have not traveled internationally?

Students who have not traveled internationally will follow the requirements for Baylor domestic (U.S.) students.  These requirements are still in development and will be sent to students via their Baylor email account once they have been confirmed. 

Travel Information for International Students and Scholars Coming to Campus for Summer 2021 or Fall 2021

When will classes begin for summer and fall 2021 terms? 

  • For Summer 2021 - Classes will begin Monday, June 1, 2021
  • For Fall 2021 – Classes will begin Monday, August 23, 2021

How soon should I travel to Baylor if I am a coming from outside of the U.S.?

While we cannot tell you when to travel, you should pay attention to the various regulations that are impacting travel between other countries and the US.  You should plan to arrive in time to complete your self-quarantine before classes begin.

How early can I arrive to Baylor if I am coming to campus with an I-20 that is Initial Status? 

As an initial status student you are allowed to arrive in the US up to 30 days before the program start date on your I-20.  Your EXPECTED arrival date to the Baylor campus is the start date on your Baylor I-20 (Summer - June 1, Fall - August 16).  If possible, we recommend that you try to arrive in the U.S. by August 9 so you can complete your self-quarantine before coming to Baylor.  This will allow you to participate in the welcome activities that Baylor has for new students.

What is Presidential Proclamation 10014 (U.S. International Travel Ban) and how does it affect international students?

The travel ban affects individuals who have been in certain countries within 14 days of arriving into the U.S.; however, the U.S. State Department has recently indicated that students with F1 visas automatically qualify for a National Interest Exemption, so the travel ban will NOT apply to F-1 students.  For more information, please click HERE.

When will U.S. Embassies and Consulates continue with student visa appointments?

Many embassies and consulates remain closed at this time and will not schedule visa appointments; however, study visas (F & J) are considered essential travel at this time and many locations will allow students to request an expedited appointment within 60 days of the arrival date on the student’s I-20.

If I have an unexpired F-1 visa stamp in my passport, do I have to get a new visa to go with my Baylor I-20?

No, if your F-1 visa has not expired, you can use it together with your Baylor I-20 to travel to the U.S.          



Center for Global Engagement

Hankamer Academic Center, H 160.01
1428 S. 5th St.
Waco, TX 76798

One Bear Place #97012
Waco, TX 76798-7012

(254) 710-1461