FAQ - Life at Baylor


Who do I contact if I need support or have questions?

The Student Success Managers (SSM) are the first point of contact during students' time in the GGP. Each SSM supports students in a specific IY level. The current SSM/IY assignments are:

Students can contact their assigned SSM by email, phone, or by setting up an appointment through Student Success Collaborative.

Life on Campus

What do we do during the first week on campus?

The first week on campus will be one of the most exciting and fun times of your life.  When you arrive, the Global Ambassadors (current Baylor International and U.S. students) will be here to welcome you and help you adjust to life at Baylor.  We have many fun and educational events planned for you.  The two big activities are Global Bears Week and Baylor Welcome Week. 

  • Global Bears Week - this is a special welcome for all Baylor international students and includes lots of free food, meeting new people, trips to the store to buy things you need, and information meetings.  As part of Global Bears Week, you will meet Baylor faculty and the President of Baylor University at the “Green and Gold Banquet”.
  • Baylor Welcome Week - this will include more fun and informational activities that will help you make friends and feel like part of the Baylor community. The program is for all new Baylor students, and there is not anything you need to do to sign up!
Where is the GGP office located?

The Global Gateway Program’s office is in the heart of the Baylor campus, directly above the international offices (Center for Global Education).  We are connected to a building called the Hankamer Cashion Building.  This is the actual address and Google Map link:

  • 1401 S. 4th Street, Waco, TX  76798
  • It’s kind of tricky to find us, so go to the international offices on the first floor (just off the main lobby) and tell them you’re here for the Global Gateway Program.  They’ll point you in the right direction.
    • Note that the Hankamer Academic Center-Cashion Academic Center (not to be confused with the Hankamer School of Business, which is a different building) and the Cashion Academic Center are connected by a common lobby.    
Where do I park?

There is usually plent of visitor parking in an open lot just outside our building at the corner of Speight Ave and S. 4th Street:

When is the University closed?

The University is officially closed on these dates, which can potentially affect student housing and dining:

  • New Year’s Day (January)
  • MLK Day (January)
  • Easter – Friday and Monday (March/April)
  • Memorial Day (May)
  • 4th of July (July)
  • Labor Day (September)
  • Thanksgiving (November – Wednesday-Sunday)
    • Residence Halls remain open
    • Dining facilities are closed
  • Christmas (December 23-31)
    • Some residence halls are open - see the full list here
    • All dining facilities are closed and students must make plans for their own meals.

During Spring Break, typically mid-March, there are no classes but the University is open. The residence halls remain open during Spring Break but dining facilities are closed.

Traveling Abroad

What do I do if my passport expires soon?

  • Check your passport and visa expiration dates. Do you have 6 or more months before it expires?  No – follow the directions below.
    • Visit the website for the Consulate of your home country. *For Chinese students, go to the Chinese language version of the site.
    • Make an appointment (hours of operation: Mon-Fri 9:00-11:30am, 1:30-3:00pm)
      • On the appointment day:
        • Bring your Passport and I20 (original AND 1 photocopy of each)
        • Bring 2 passport-sized photos (these can be taken at the consulate)
        • If you want the consulate to mail your finished passport to you (instead of going back to Houston to pick it up), bring a PREPAID envelope AND a $23.00 money order.
    • It usually takes around 15 BUSINESS DAYS to process (more time to mail). Make sure you give yourself enough time to get it processed and buy your plane ticket before you have to leave.

What should I do with my I-20?

Make sure your I-20 is signed. You need to visit your DSO in the ISSS office to get it signed.

You can walk-in to see your assigned DSO between Mon-Thur 2:00-4:30 pm, or you can email your assigned DSO to set up an appointment.