F-1 Visa Renewal


If your F-1 visa has expired and you plan on traveling outside of the U.S. prior to finishing your degree, you will need to apply for a new visa from a U.S. consulate or embassy while you are abroad. You cannot apply for a new visa while inside the U.S.

Please make sure to visit your country’s U.S. consulate or embassy website to learn more about what you will need for your student visa.

Documents You Will Need (at the minimum*)
  • Unexpired Passport valid for at least 6 months into the future
  • I-20 for Visa Renewal
    • See below about how to request an I-20 for Visa Renewal.
  • Proof of Financial Support
    • You will need proof of financial support as shown on your I-20. This may include personal or family bank statements, an affidavit of support, or copies of your fellowship or scholarship letter.
  • SEVIS Fee Receipt
    • Proof that you paid the SEVIS fee

*Please note that this list is a minimum. The full list of required documents you actually need may go beyond the documents listed here. Make sure to check the U.S. consulate or embassy website where you will be applying for a new visa for the full list of required documents.*

How to Request an I-20 for Visa Renewal
  1. The student must complete the Online New I-20 Request Form.
  2. A DSO reviews the form and confirms information in the Global Bears System.
  3. A DSO prints the I-20.
  4. A DSO emails the student that the I-20 is ready for pick-up.
  5. The student comes to the CGE Office front desk to sign and pick-up the I-20.

*Note: Please allow for 3 days for your request to be processed.*

Center for Global Engagement

Hankamer Academic Center, H 160.01
1428 S. 5th St.
Waco, TX 76798

One Bear Place #97012
Waco, TX 76798-7012

(254) 710-1461