Change of Level


When a student completes one degree at Baylor and then chooses to pursue an additional degree at the next level (ex. Bachelor’s degree to Master’s Degree), he or she will be required to get a new I-20 for the new degree. The student must be admitted to the next degree program and submit new documents applicable to the new degree. The student must initiate the process BEFORE the end of his or her current status. Note: This same process applies if a student is choosing to get a second degree at the same level (ex. Master’s Degree to another Master’s Degree).


  1. The student must be admitted to the new program.
  2. The student should inform a Baylor DSO of the new program.
  3. The student must submit a Change of Level Request through Global Bears which will include updated financial documentation for the new program.
  4. A DSO reviews the documents.
  5. Once the DSO confirms that all documents are acceptable, the DSO will create a new Change of Level (Initial) I-20 for the student.  Students should keep their current I-20 which will remain Active until the Change of Level I-20 is registered in the student's first term in the new program/level.
  6. A DSO will email the student that the Change of Level I-20 is ready.
  7. The student can choose to have the I-20 mailed or come to the ISSS Office to sign and pick-up the I-20.
  8. During the first term of the new program/level, the student should request an updated I-20 for the new program at which time the DSO will register the student's Change of Level in SEVIS and print a new I-20 for Continued Attendance at the new level.

All requests are found in the Global Bears system. Please login with your Bear ID and Password (For those on OPT, use personal login) and go to the Student Requests tab to submit your request. The link for Global Bears is Please email if you have difficulty logging in to the system.

Center for Global Engagement

Hankamer Academic Center, H 160.01
1428 S. 5th St.
Waco, TX 76798

One Bear Place #97012
Waco, TX 76798-7012

(254) 710-1461