F-1 students are generally permitted to work part-time at the campus that issued their currently valid I-20, while they are attending that school and maintaining their F-1 status. General requirements:
- Students must be fully enrolled while employed during fall and spring terms (and during the summer if the summer is their first term of enrollment).
- Students must submit the On-Campus Employment Form via GlobalBears. This approval is only required once. Approval is valid as long as the student maintains status and is enrolled at Baylor.
- Students may only work part-time and the work must be on the Baylor campus (some work may be allowed off campus if the off-campus location is educationally affiliated with the school.) Students may only work a maximum of 20 hours each week during fall and spring semesters. This includes both graduate assistantships and student worker positions
- During official breaks when school is not in session, students may work up to 40 hours each week unless th summer is their initial term in their program - this includes Christmas Break, Spring Break, and Summer Break.
- Students are not required to have a job in order to be given work authorization; however, once a job is found the student will have to immediately apply for a Social Security Card which requires a letter from the employer and a letter from the Baylor ISSS Office. See the Social Security Card Policy and Procedure for more information.
- Graduate students receiving a stipend must also submit written approval from their Graduate Program Director to the ISSS Office. Graduate students should send approval to the Graduate Office to work an additional job.
- Students who are pending reinstatement are not eligible to work on-campus. (This does not apply to graduate assistantships.)
- Students should allow 5 business days to process paperwork.
- Student completes On-Campus Employment Form through Global Bears. This form must be submitted only once during the student’s time at Baylor. The approval letter remains valid during the time the student is at Baylor and in status.
- DSO reviews form and confirms that student is eligible to work.
- Verification of eligibility is sent to the Office of Academic Scholarships and Financial Aid, the Office of Human Resources and the any listed supervisor.
- The DSO will email the student whether their request is approved or denied. If approved, a PDF approval letter will be attached that the student may use as needed.