Travel Procedures

All scholars traveling abroad must check the validity dates on their immigration documents to ensure all documents are valid. If you have any questions, please see an IS3 advisor. When traveling outside the U.S., J-1 scholars must have in their possession the proper documents to return to the U.S. to resume their activities. Verify the following documents prior to travel:

  • Passport, valid at least 6 months into the future
  • Recent travel endorsement on the DS-2019
  • Valid visa stamp


NOTE: You must surrender the current I-94 card at the U.S. point of departure. You will receive a new I-94 at re-entry.


Visa Stamp Renewal

If your visa stamp has expired and you are traveling outside the U.S., you will need to apply for a visa stamp renewal. Be sure to schedule an appointment with an ISSS adviser to discuss your case.


Automatic Revalidation

If you are traveling to Mexico, Canada, or the Caribbean Islands and your visa stamp has expired, you may be able to use automatic revalidation to re-enter the US without renewing your visa stamp.


Additional Resources:

Travel Advisories

US Embassies/Consulates

Center for Global Engagement

Hankamer Academic Center, H 160.01
1428 S. 5th St.
Waco, TX 76798

One Bear Place #97012
Waco, TX 76798-7012

(254) 710-1461