International Scholars


Baylor University has been approved by the U.S. Department of State to sponsor J-1 Exchange Visitors participating in academic research, teaching and observation at Baylor. Scholars use the Exchange Visitor program for official appointments such as temporary faculty, research, postdoctoral or postgraduate fellows, as well as other temporary academic appointments. The J-1 visa cannot be used for ladder-track or tenured appointments.

Various departments within the University request the help of International Student and Scholar Services to facilitate bringing their international Visiting Scholars and Researchers to Baylor by issuing the immigration documents required for the visa application and subsequent entry into the U.S. The majority of temporary visiting researchers and scholars come to teach or conduct research.

International Student and Scholar Services is prepared to assist the Baylor academic departments as they seek to bring these Scholars to campus. You will find information below about the regulations, processes, and services that apply to visiting scholars. If you have any questions, please contact Grace Semple-Paul via email at or by calling 254-710-1461.



1. The host department at Baylor must determine that the individual has the appropriate academic credentials, as well as English language proficiency, for the temporary academic appointment.

2. The host department must provide evidence of financial support (either Baylor funds or outside funding) for all expenses, including additional financial support for any accompanying family members.

3. The exchange visitor and his/her accompanying family members must maintain Baylor's health insurance policy which provides coverage for sicknesses or accidents during the entire J-1 period of stay.

4. Next, ISSS will provide the Scholar with a link on our website when the Request for DS-2019 will be made and required documents uploaded. (The DS-2019 is the immigration document that the Scholar needs to present at the Consulate when requesting the J visa.)

English Language Support

The Baylor Graduate School offers a free English for Academic Purposes course for all international graduate students, visiting scholars and their spouses. For more information, click HERE.

Center for Global Engagement

Hankamer Academic Center, H 160.01
1428 S. 5th St.
Waco, TX 76798

One Bear Place #97012
Waco, TX 76798-7012

(254) 710-1461