Health & Safety
Student health, safety, and security are our top priorities. The Center for Global Engagement (CGE) at Baylor University is prepared to deal with any emergencies that may arise. Our program directors and study abroad staff members are prepared to support students through pre-departure and on-site orientation information and 24-hour staffed telephone numbers.
We are committed to:
- Providing a means for students and staff to be reached as quickly as possible in the event of an emergency, and facilitating timely and effective communication
- Being knowledgeable about local conditions and making resources available to students while they are abroad
- Providing safe and secure housing
- Providing access to appropriate health care
- Providing medical insurance coverage for all students throughout the duration of their overseas programs
- Promoting responsible student behavior regarding drugs and alcohol in accordance with BU policy and local laws
- Providing support for students with special needs
- Anticipating and avoiding emergency situations whenever possible, and providing prompt and appropriate responses to those that do arise
- Having clear and secure plans and procedures in each overseas office to ensure student safety in the event of an emergency
- Reviewing and assessing travel to any country with a current U.S. Department of State travel warning or travel alert
Our policies and procedures receive ongoing review and refinement from our Vice Provost for Global Engagement and Assistant Director for Study Abroad, as well as colleagues from Baylor’s Office of General Counsel, the Department of Public Safety, numerous compliance offices, and the Student Health Center.