1. Gather All Documents, Forms, and Information
Collect all documents issued to you by any employer you had during 2017 before beginning your tax paperwork. This includes your W-2, 1042-S, 1099, etc. You may only have one of these forms but you will at least have a W-2 or a 1042-S. Call the payroll office if you are unsure which forms you should have received. Also, you'll need the following:
- I-20 for F students and DS-2019 for J students,
- SSN or ITIN,
- International and local Address information,
- U.S. Entry and Exit Dates for current and past visits to the U.S.,
- Academic institution and DSO information (name, address, phone number,)
- Scholarship/fellowship grant letter (if you have one), and
- A copy of last year's federal income tax return (if you filed one)
2. Log in to Sprintax
ISSS has purchased Sprintax, a tax preparation software system specifically designed for international students and scholars. Sprintax will determine which forms you need to complete and will complete them for you according to the answers you give. The filing deadline for 2018 (using 2017 tax information) is Tuesday, April 17, 2018. Please complete the Sprintax process and mail your federal income tax before this date. Log in to Sprintax with the link and information that was emailed to you and follow the instructions in Sprintax to complete your tax forms. If you did not receive an email from the ISSS Office regarding Sprintax, and you know that you worked last year, please contact the International Student and Scholar Services Office at ISSS_Support@Baylor.edu or 254-710-1461.
3. Print, Sign, and Copy Your Forms
This step is very important. After you have done all of this work, you should always save copies (hard copies and electronic PDF copies). This will save you so much extra work if your tax file gets reviewed by the IRS. Do not rely on Windstar to keep copies of your returns.
4. Mail Your Forms
Assemble all of the forms in the following order:
- Form 1040NR-EZ or Form 1040NR (staple a copy of all tax forms you received to front left side of the 1040 form (your W-2 copy B and/or the 1042-S copy C)
- Form 8843 (do not sign)
- Substantial Presence Test (you will get this through Sprintax)
- Tax Treat information (you will get this through Sprintax if you qualify)
Mail your forms to the address indicated by Sprintax depending on whether you are getting a refund or whether you have to pay the IRS.