Academic Training

J-1 academic training is authorized by your J-1 program sponsor and does not require further authorization from the Departments of Homeland Security or State. To apply, the advisers at ISSS will evaluate your application and the Responsible Officer (RO) will authorize you for Academic Training. Academic training is available during your academic program and /or upon its completion. The following eligibility criteria must be met:

  • You must be in good academic standing.
  • The proposed employment must be directly related to your major field of study.
  • You must maintain health insurance coverage for yourself and any J-2 dependents throughout your "Academic Training."
  • Your employment may be authorized for the length of time necessary to complete the goals and objectives of the training, provided that the amount of time is approved by both your academic adviser and your Responsible Officer. It may not exceed the amount of time it took for you to complete your full course of study, or 18 months, whichever is shorter. If you receive a Ph.D., and are engaged in post-doctoral training, your academic training may last as long as 36 months (see an advisor at ISSS for detail).
  • Employment must start no later than 30 days after the end of your program.
  • Part-time employment for "Academic Training" counts against the 18 or 36 month limit the same as full-time employment.
  • Earning more than one degree does not increase your eligibility for "Academic Training."

Applying upon completion of your program of study

"Academic Training" approved after completion of your program must be reduced by any prior periods of "Academic Training" undertaken during the academic program.

"Academic Training" following completion of your program of study must involve paid employment. You must obtain a written offer of appropriate employment and present a copy to the IS3 no later than the ending date of your program, or you will lose eligibility for "Academic Training" after completion.

If you plan to leave the United States after you complete your program of study and re-enter the country for J-1 "Academic Training," you must obtain employment authorization before you leave. Otherwise you will have trouble re-entering. Consult the ISSS for advice.

To be authorized for academic training, you and your academic adviser must complete the Academic Adviser's Recommendation Form and submit it to ISSS.