Baylor University has been approved by the U.S. Department of State to sponsor J-1 Exchange Visitors participating in academic research, teaching and observation at Baylor. Scholars use the Exchange Visitor program for official appointments such as visiting faculty, research, postdoctoral or postgraduate fellows, as well as other temporary academic appointments. The J-1 visa cannot be used for ladder-track or tenured appointments.

Various departments within the University request the help of International Student and Scholar Services to facilitate bringing their international Visiting Scholars and Researchers to Baylor by issuing the immigration documents used for the visitor's visa application and subsequent entry into the U.S. The majority of temporary visiting researchers and scholars come to teach or conduct research.

International Student and Scholar Services is prepared to assist both incoming faculty members and researchers as well as the Baylor academic departments bringing them to campus. You will find information on this site about the regulations, processes, and services that apply to visiting scholars. If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Treva Hall via email at or by calling 254-710-2657.



1. The host Baylor department must determine that the individual has the appropriate academic credentials, as well as English language proficiency, for the temporary academic appointment.

2. The host department must provide evidence of financial support (either Baylor funds or outside funding) for all expenses, including additional financial support for any accompanying family members.

3. The exchange visitor and his/her accompanying family members must maintain Baylor's health insurance policy which provides coverage for sicknesses or accidents during the entire J-1 period of time of stay.


English Language Support

The Baylor Graduate School offers a free English for Academic Purposes course for all international graduate students, visiting scholars and their spouses. For more information, click HERE.