At the turn of the twentieth century, the Texas Baptist Memorial Sanitorium (TBMS) sought properly trained nurses to help cure those suffering from tuberculosis. In an effort to provide well-trained caretakers for this institution, the Baylor School of Nursing was officially established as a diploma program through TBMS in 1909. Headed by Helen Holiday Lehmann, the Baylor School of Nursing became one of only two nursing programs to obtain a "Class A" rating, as determined by the New York Board of Nurse Examiners. Retiring in 1941, Lehmann was succeeded by Zora Fiedler. Fiedler paved the way for the School of Nursing to become a baccalaureate granting program through Baylor's flagship campus in Waco. Graduating its first class in 1954, the School of Nursing became part of the six degree-granting schools housed at Baylor. Baylor's School of Nursing reached new heights when it achieved accreditation for its graduate program in 1994, via the National League for Nursing. Both the undergraduate and graduate level nursing programs seek to train nurses and imbue the skills required for their profession.
More information about the School of Nursing can be found in the BU Records: School of Nursing at The Texas Collection.