The history of the Baylor University Home Economics Department can be traced back to 1850. Five years after Baylor was officially established in Independence, Texas, the university offered home economics classes to students. However, it was not until 1933 that the Department of Home Economics was established at Baylor. At the time, the Department of Home Economics offered three degrees: home economics education, general home economics, and fashion merchandising. Thanks to philanthropist Jesse H. Jones and his wife Mary Gibbs Jones, the Baylor Home Economics Department found their new permanent home at the Mary Gibbs Jones Home Economics Facility. In 1994, the department changed its name to Family and Consumer Sciences.
More information about the Home Economics Department can be found in the BU Records: Home Economics Department at The Texas Collection.