Types of Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid

Free Aid

  • Grants
  • Academic scholarships are awarded based on your eligibility the year you enter Baylor.
  • Outside scholarships are awarded from entities outside of Baylor University

Student Loans

  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan: this loan program is need-based and the federal government pays the interest while you are enrolled at least half-time (6 hours). You are not required to make payments from the six month grace period after leaving school, but are responsible for the interest that accrues during those six months.
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan: available to all students enrolled at least half-time (6 hours) regardless of need. You are always responsible for the interest that accrues on this loan. You have the option to make interest payments while in school. While these payments are not required, they will reduce your overall debt.
  • Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS): this credit-based loan is available to the parent of a dependent undergraduate student who is enrolled at least half-time (6 hours). Repayment begins 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed. There is no grace period; however, your parents can request deferment while you are enrolled at least half-time. Interest will accrue during the deferment.
  • Credit-based alternative loans are available through a state or private lender and may be used to fill the gap between the cost of attendance and other aid you are receiving. In most cases, a creditworthy co-signer is required.

Self-help Aid

  • Student employment: Baylor University students who are eligible to work in the United States can apply for on-campus jobs. Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a form of financial aid that you may qualify for after completing the FAFSA. FWS eligible students have priority for jobs through the first three weeks of class in the fall semester. Students may not work more than 20 hours per week while school is in session.

    Opportunities for On-Campus Employment:

    General Student Employment

    Campus Recreation Employment

    Library Employment

    Student Activities/SUB Employment