Baylor University
Tax & Compliance Department
Financial Services

Form 1042-S Reporting

Frequently Asked Questions

Why did I receive an IRS Form 1042-S?

The University is required by IRS rules and regulations to report on a Form 1042-S certain payments made to nonresident aliens.  Additionally, the University may be required to withhold taxes on such payments.  The payment made to you was determined to be a reportable payment, with any withheld taxes also being reported, and thus you were sent a Form 1042-S.

Is the IRS notified of the payment that I received from the University?

Yes, if you received a Form 1042-S, then the payment was also reported to the IRS.

What am I supposed to do with the Form 1042-S?

Use the information contained on the Form 1042-S to prepare your U.S. tax return if you determine you are required to file a return.

Am I required to file a U. S. tax return?

Information regarding the need to file a U.S. tax return can be found at the following IRS website:  IRS Publication 519 is also another informative source.  You will need to determine your requirement to file a U.S. tax return; the University encourages you to consult a tax advisor if you have questions regarding the need to file a return.