Champions of Change
Baylor University faculty, staff, and alumni play an important role in embracing and advancing racial equity on our campus and in the community.
Through the Champions of Change recognition program, the University seeks to honor, recognize, and celebrate unsung heroes of Baylor’s past and present.
The Champions of Change program recognizes and acknowledges the accomplishments of individuals that have demonstrated efforts to foster greater appreciation and advancement of diversity, inclusiveness, and equity for communities of color at Baylor and in Waco. By recognizing these leaders, the program will cement their legacy among other Baylor greats, firsts, and champions. Each year, a diverse and representative volunteer committee will seek nominations for a faculty, staff, and alum from Baylor’s past and/or present who embodies the ideals of equity, change, hope, and service. View past recipients.
To be considered for the Champions of Change recognition, the individual must show strong evidence of engagement in efforts that:
- Significantly promote diversity, inclusion, and cultural responsiveness development among Baylor faculty, staff, or students.
- Address key areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion, such as recruitment, retention, campus/department climate, research, or community outreach.
- Implement steps toward fostering diversity on campus through their role as a “Baylor First” or with programs that elevate communities of color on campus.
- Take a proactive role in local diversity and minority issues, such as building relationships with diverse community groups or educating citizens on matters of racial disparities.
- Encourage Baylor volunteerism in Waco with regard to cultural connections.
- Significantly promote diversity, inclusion, and equity within the Waco community.
Honorees will receive a plaque with their name engraved. The list of honorees will be permanently recognized in the future at a public space on campus dedicated to honoring cultural wealth at Baylor.
The recognition committee will meet annually to review potential nominees. Anyone is welcome to submit a nomination for consideration. Those making a nomination will be asked to submit a form highlighting who they would like to recognize for contributions towards the advancement of diversity, inclusiveness, and equity for communities of color at Baylor or in Waco. All nomination forms will be kept confidential.
- The Recognition Committee will select recipients based exclusively on the information provided within each nomination form.
- Recognition Committee members are eligible to receive the recognition but must abstain from any discussions about and decisions made in the specific category for which (s)he has been nominated.
- Members of the Recognition Committee are eligible to make a nomination.
The deadline for nominations is April 29.Submit a Nomination