Melinda Coogan, Ph.D.
During summer, 2018, I was hired by Baylor University as a Temporary Lecturer with the Department of Environmental Science after working as a Full Professor of Biology at a private university in NW Iowa. In many ways, I felt like I was “coming home to Texas.” My grown children had settled in Austin and Dallas, and I was able to become re-acquainted with colleagues and friends at UNT, where I received my PhD. I have thoroughly enjoyed working with the students, faculty, and staff at Baylor, where I’ve been able to offer a variety of lecture and field-based courses. I’ve also enjoyed working as a Thesis Mentor for a Baylor Honors student and with a McNair Scholar on design and implementation of a summer 2019 research project. During spring semesters 2020 and 2021 I participated in the Baylor Honors College program called Invitation to Excellence, where I’ve had the opportunity to meet many high-achieving seniors considering Baylor for their undergraduate education. Additionally, during fall semester, 2018, I worked with a group of Baylor science majors on the development and formation of the Baylor undergraduate student organization Students for Environmental and Wildlife Protection (SEWP), for which I continue to serve as Faculty Sponsor. During summer, 2021, after an extensive interview process, I was invited to continue my career with Baylor as a Full Lecturer with the Department of Environmental Science, and I look forward to seeing where this next chapter in my life leads!
- Ph.D. in Environmental Science, University of North Texas, Denton, TX
- M.S. in Biology, Western Illinois University, Macomb, IL
- B.S in Biology, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC
- Assistant Professor of Biology, Buena Vista University, Storm Lake, IA 2007 – 2013
- Associate Professor of Biology, Buena Vista University, Storm Lake, IA 2013 – 2017
- Professor of Biology, Buena Vista University, Storm Lake, IA 2017 – 2018
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (2004 – present)
- Society of Wetland Scientists (2006 – present)
- Sigma XI (2006 – present)
- Iowa Academy of Science (2007 – present)
- Environmental and Health Science Section Chair, 2008 - 2015
- President Elect, President, Past President 2015 – 2018
- Society of Toxicology (2018 – present)