Video Chats and eTutoring
Overview of Online Tutoring Services
The UWC offers two types of online consultations—video chat consultations (synchronous) and eTutoring (asynchronous written feedback).
What is a video chat consultation?
Like an in-person consultation, a video chat consultation takes place in real-time with both the writer and tutor "present." Both parties are able to view the writer's work on screen and can communicate through audio, video, and text chat. Tutors in video chat consultations can assist with any writing assignment, at any stage of the writing process. Sometimes writers have a draft to review; other times, writers and consultants discuss ideas, approaches, or the assignment prompt.
What is an eTutoring (asynchronous) consultation?
Unlike a video chat consultation, an eTutoring consultation does not take place in real time. Instead, writers upload their text (essay, spaper, resume, thesis, etc.) into WCOnline and receive electronic feedback. The consultant’s feedback will be based on the writer’s concerns and priorities and included a letter commenting on the overall strengths, areas for improvement, and suggestions for revision. As with any UWC session, the focus is on learning. Consequently, the consultant will not provide line-by-line corrections.
Who can utilize online consultations?
Baylor undergraduate and graduate students, as well as faculty and staff, from any discipline or major.
What types of projects will you read and provide feedback on?
UWC consultants will provide feedback on any genre of writing—whether it is for a class, a job, graduate school, or a scholarly journal. The UWC will provide online feedback on shorter projects (<12 pages) or on portions of longer projects. If you are a graduate student and would like feedback on more than 12 pages, you can reach out to the Graduate Writing Center at GWC@baylor.edu.
To Schedule an Appointment
- Schedule an appointment online here. When booking your appointment, choose the "Online" option.
- Log back into the appointment website 10 minutes before your appointment is scheduled to begin. Open your appointment and click "Start or Join Online Consultation." Your consultant will join you.
*You must have audio or video capabilities to utilize the synchronous option.
- Schedule an appointment online here. When booking your appointment online, choose a tutor with “eTutoring” listed under her name and choose the “eTutoring” option for your appointment.
- When booking your appointment, include the following information under “What would you like to work on today?”:
a. Briefly describe the assignment or the context for writing.
b. Describe what you like most about this draft.
c. Describe your three main concerns about this assignment/project. The more specific you are in your explanation, the more we can give you targeted feedback to help you revise.
- Attach your draft and the assignment prompt or rubric (if applicable) at the bottom of the appointment window. Microsoft word documents (.doc or .docx) are preferred.
- Your consultant will upload electronic feedback, and you will receive an email notification when this happens.
You can expect to receive your feedback within 48 business hours, Monday through Friday.
Email us: UWC@baylor.edu