Victim of Crime Abroad

If you are a victim of a crime abroad, know that Baylor University is here to help. We can advise travelers on replacing lost or stolen documents, credit cards, photo identification, etc., as well as provide counseling resources to help victims manage any subsequent feelings of trauma.

Travelers should contact Baylor University's Global Safety and Security Hotline 24/7 at: +1-603-328-1748 from anywhere in the world, or +1-855-521-6722 from the US or Canada, their program director, trip leader, on-site staff and/or the Director of Global Safety and Security. 

In addition, the U.S. Department of State (U.S. DOS) is also committed to assisting U.S. citizens who become victims of crime while abroad. Consular officers, agents, and staff work with crime victims and to help connect individuals with the local police. Travelers can find the consular office in their local area by visiting this directory of U.S.. embassies, consulates and diplomatic missions.

Replacing lost or stolen documents

To replace a U.S. passport lost or stolen abroad, American citizens must go to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate and apply in person.

Please note:

  • Passport matters are usually handled on specific hours; read the embassy or consulate website carefully.
  • Travelers will need to complete a document called a DS-11, provide a passport photo, and pay a replacement fee.

Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for specific instructions, forms, and assistance.

Travelers of other nationalities should contact the nearest embassy or consulate of their citizenship for information about the procedure to replace a lost or stolen passport. Most countries have Internet web sites with contact information.

Filing police reports abroad

A victim of crime abroad is encouraged to report the crime to the local police and obtain a copy of the police report. It’s helpful for local authorities to know when and where crimes happen to foreigners so that they can improve their efforts to servile, detect and capture criminals. Also, such information can be used to warn future travelers about criminals’ tactics or targets.

However, in some locations, incidents that are considered crimes in the U.S. might not be considered crimes abroad. Also, in certain countries, travelers may not find local authorities very understanding or sympathetic to victims. If unsure, contact the Director of Global Safety and Security or a trusted on-site individual for advice.

If valuable items were stolen, such as a laptop or other expensive electronic devices, a copy of a police report will be required by your property insurance carrier should you wish to file a claim.

Embassy/consular notification

As a member of the Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC), which is a division of the U.S. DOS Bureau of Diplomatic Security, Global Safety and Security would like to report incidents of crime to the local embassy or consulate so that the U.S. DOS can maintain up-to-date statistics on incidents involving its citizens abroad. Such notifications do NOT require the submission of personally identifiable information, only a description of the crime, time, location and any other relevant details. If a Baylor traveler reports a crime abroad, Global Safety and Security will inquire about whether or not we can report the incident to OSAC.

Department of Public Safety

Speight Plaza Parking Facility
1521 S. 4th St.
Waco, TX 76706
Parking Matters: 254.710.7275
Non-Emergency: 254.710.2211
Emergency: 254.710.2222