...what matters to Baylor.
How do we respond to concealed carry? cultural appropriation? faith and politics? racial and ethnic tensions? How do we get involved in local and national issues? How do events from halfway across the globe impact us here? How do we prepare ourselves to engage in a world of diversity and different opinions?
THIS Matters forums offer a series of discussion panels connecting leaders from diverse perspectives to offer context to society's most challenging questions. We attempt to address immediate, unanticipated or unprecedented issues that occur locally and globally, directly and indirectly affecting our campus community. We strive to provide a safe space for students, faculty, staff and members of the community to share ideas and enrich each other’s understanding of the topic. We do not attempt to provide solutions to complex issues or speak on behalf of University officials; instead, we create opportunities to promote dialogue and critical thinking as we further engage with difficult topics.
Previous forum topics have included:
- Racial Reconciliation
- How to Get Your Voice Heard: Protests, Petitions, and Policy Change
- Hypermasculinity & Hyperfemininity
- Sexual Violence & Aggression on College Campuses
- Does My Vote Matter?
- Today's Political Climate
- Campus Carry
- My Culture is Not a Costume
- Fifty Shades of Grey
- Racial and Ethnic Tensions
- Refugee Crisis
- Hazing and Campus Traditions
- Patriotism, Protests, and Pro-Athletes
- Racial Relationships in the Era of Trump
THIS Matters Team
Students, faculty, and staff from across campus who strive to bring cutting edge research and fieldwork into conversation with current events in order to keep Baylor University’s students well-informed and active global citizens and leaders in today’s world.
- Dr. Elizabeth Palacios, Dean for Student Development
- Jasmine Wilson, Assistant Director for Resident Learning
- Pearlie Beverly, Director of Multicultural Affairs
- Lori Fogleman, Assistant Vice President for Media Relations
- Dr. Josh Ritter, Assistant Director for Baylor Formation
- Lizzy Davis, Coordinator for the Peer Leader Program
- Maggie Griffin, Coordinator of Creative Services, Baylor Formation and Multicultural Affairs
- Adam Moore, Assistant Director of Student and Alumni Initiatives, Baylor Interdisciplinary Core Coordinator
- Sharyl Loeung, Coordinator for Outreach and Inclusion, Multicultural Affairs