After registering for your Summer of Discovery courses, make sure you complete the following steps:
1) Enroll with Baylor's DUO two-factor authentication platform. DUO adds a second layer of security for your personal information. DUO must be registered through the student mobile device. See a helpful instructional video here. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the Help Desk at 254-710-4357.
2) Check your Baylor email regularly, using your Bear_ID to log in. This is the official way that Baylor will communicate with you about deadlines and important updates. Your faculty members will also use this as a primary means of communication in addition to the course information in Canvas. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the Help Desk at 254-710-4357.
3) Get familiar with Canvas. Canvas is how most professors communicate assignments, homework and grades with their classes throughout the semester. Professors publish content to Canvas at their own paces; some classes will be posted sooner than others. You will want to log into your Canvas account to familiarize yourself with the layout and content before the semester begins. You can also download the Canvas app using these links:
4) Purchase Your Books. Your professor(s) are working diligently to build their courses to be ready for the first day of class. They will make the course available for you to see few days before the class begins, in some cases, sooner. Your professor will have a list of books and other materials you’ll need for the course(s) posted in the Canvas course site. You should be able to find all of the books and other materials for your course(s) at the Baylor Bookstore.
5) Confirm your attendance in BearWeb by going to Student Financial Services > Student Account > Confirm Attendance. If you do not owe a balance, you must still confirm your attendance.
6) Pay your charges. View your semester E-Bill statement in the E-Bill System and either make payment-in-full or enroll in a Payment Plan.
8) Get your college student mindset on. We know that learning in the Baylor virtual classroom may seem intimidating right now, but rest assured that the Paul L. Foster Success Center has everything you need to help you adjust quickly to thinking like a college student, including free online tutoring, academic mentoring, and one-on-one academic consultation to get you off to a great start. Review now these Tips for Baylor Online Learning Success so that you can hit the ground running on day one of classes.
9) Register with the Office of Access & Learning Accommodation if you were on a 504 plan in high school or have a documented disability or medical condition.
10) Expect a great Baylor experience. As the oldest continuously operating university in Texas, Baylor offers traditions that both celebrate our past and excite us for our future. Alongside our rich traditions, our central mission is to offer you holistic experiences that develop spiritual, mental, and academic growth. Through Summer of Discovery, you will be offered diverse opportunities to engage with campus programs and thoughtful introduction to honored traditions, thus deepening your sense of belonging to the Baylor family.
11) Consider these recommendations if you’re planning to purchase a laptop for school. Using the right technology will help you succeed in the classroom. If you have any questions, please contact the Help Desk at 254-710-4357.
|Operating System*||Windows 10 64-bit or macOS 10.15*|
|Processor||Intel Core i5 or i7|
|Memory||16 GB RAM|
|Hard Drive||500GB+ SSD|
|Accessories||Webcam and microphone-equipped headset|
|Warranty||An extended warranty is recommended.|
*Students selecting Apple laptops should be aware of some possible limitations. Certain areas of study in the Hankamer School of Business and the School of Engineering and Computer Science require students to use programs within a Windows environment. Students using an Apple laptop will need to either dual boot or run a virtual machine. Unless students in these schools already own an Apple laptop, it is strongly recommended that they select a Windows-based laptop.
12) Complete your Advising Questionnaire in goBAYLOR. Completing this form will give your Baylor advisor important information to help you select courses that best align with your academic plans.
13) Complete any necessary placement tests. Before you can enroll in some chemistry, calculus, or language classes, you must meet pre-requisites in order to register for the class. You might need to take a placement exam. Learn more.
14) Review the Baylor Honor Code. As a Baylor student, you will be held to a high standard of academic integrity. It is the responsibility of each student to be familiar with the Honor Code.