- Ph.D. 1982, University of Toronto
- M.A. 1976, University of New Hampshire
- B.A. 1974, St. Peter’s College
Late Antiquity and the Early Medieval Period, Classical Tradition in the Renaissance
Daniel Nodes is Professor of Classics and an internationally recognized medievalist specializing in the intersections of classical and biblical literary culture. He served as Classics Department Chair from 2012 to 2015. Before coming to Baylor he was the founding Chair of Classics and Early Christian Literature in Ave Maria University, FL, and he has been Chair of Classics in Franciscan University of Steubenville, OH, and director of Graduate Liberal Studies in Hamline University, St. Paul, MN. Dr. Nodes has been a research fellow of the National Endowment for the Humanities and has been awarded research grants from the American Council of Learned Societies, St. Louis University, and the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, UCLA, and the Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies in the University of Toronto. He serves on the editorial board of the Dumbarton Oaks Medieval Library, Washington, DC. He is a member of the Groupe de recherches en Poésie de l'Antiquité Tardive, based in the University of Strasbourg.
Dr. Nodes’s publications address a broad spectrum of literary genres and historical periods in Latin and Greek, from Late Antiquity through the early modern period.
- Frater Petrus. Collationes de tempore (14th Century): Critical Edition with Translation and Introductory Essays. 2 volumes: Volume 1, Collations 1 to 63, Advent to Easter. Studies in Medieval and Reformation Traditions 229. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 2021.
- Parables on a Roman Comic Stage: Samarites — Comoedia de Samaritano Evangelico (1539) by Petrus Papeus Together with the Commentary of Alexius Vanegas of Toledo (1542). Drama and Theatre in Early Modern Europe 7. Leiden: E.J. Brill, 2017.
- John Colet’s Commentary on the Ecclesiastical Hierarchy of Dionysius (with Daniel Lochman). Leiden: E.J. Brill. 2013.
- Commentary on the Sentences of Petrus Lombardus ‘ad mentem Platonis’ by Giles of Viterbo, 1469-1532. Leiden: E.J. Brill. 2010. The first critical edition of this text.
- Doctrine and Exegesis in Latin Biblical Poetry. Leeds: Cairns. 1993.
- The Fall of Man: Avitus Books 1-3. Toronto: Pontifical Institute. 1985.
Recent Journal Articles
- "Light, Life, and the Baptism of Blood: Johannine Elements in Poems on the Holy Innocents," in Actes du Colloque, La Tradition Johannique dans la poésie tardo-antique et médiévale. Studi e Testi TardoAntichi: Profane and Christian Culture in Late Antiquity. Turnhout: Brepols, 2022.
- "Transcendent and Immanent in Nicholas of Cusa's Sermons on the Good Shepherd: Entering and Leaving by the Same Gate," Shift. International Journal of Philosophical Studies (issn 2532-9251) 3.2 (2019) , 63-74.
- "Theology before Church Polity: A Fourteenth-Century Guide for Preachers on the Good Shepherd," Medieval Sermon Studies 64 (2020), 66-76.
- "Voice of the Muse, Word of the Church," in Poetry, Bible, and Theology from Late Antiquity to the Middle Ages. Ed. Michele Cutino. Millennium-Studien / Millennium Studies, 86. Berlin: DeGruyter, 2020, 491-505.
- “The Merging of Linguistic Idioms in the Commentary Genre: The Case of Alejo Vanegas of Toledo (1542),” in Acta Conventus Neo-Latini Albacetenis 2018. Leiden: Brill.
- “Les paraboles évangéliques dans la poésie latin du XIIe au XVe siècle,” in Actes du colloque: Poésie, bible et théologie de l'Antiquité tardive au Moyen Age. Berlin: DeGruyter, 2019.
Recent Book Reviews and Encyclopedia Entries
- "Old Testament in the New Testament - Christianity - Medieval Times and Reformation Era," in Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception. Edited by Constance M. Furey, Joel Marcus LeMon, Brian Matz, Thomas Römer, Jens Schröter, Barry Dov Walfish and Eric Ziolkowski. Berlin: DeGruyter, 2021.
- Review of The Oxford Handbook of Early Christian Biblical Interpretation. Edited by Paul M. Bowers and Peter W. Martens. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2019, in Church History 89.1 (2020): 150-51
- Review of Princeps philosophorum: Platone nell’Occidente tardo-antico, medievale e umanistico. Ed. Maria Borriello and Angelo Maria Vitale. Roma: Città Nuova (Institutiones, 5), 2016. In Mediaevistik, 30 (2017), 330-332.
Forthcoming in 2020
- Frater Petrus. Collationes de tempore (14th Century): Critical Edition with Translation and Introductory Essays. 2 volumes: Volume 2: Collations 64 to 147, Ordinary Time. Leiden: Brill, 2022
- 'Mens Platonis, cor Ecclesiae': Egidio of Viterbo between Philosophy and Theology. Traditio Augustiniana, Vol. 2. Florence: Nerbini International, 2022.