Upcoming lectures, symposia, and meetings
G. Hugh and Beverly C. Wamble Spring Lecture for Fall 2017
Dr. Elijah Brown of the Wilberforce Initiative will be our speaker at the Fall 2017 Wamble Symposium
- Dr. Elijah Brown is the Executive Vice President of the 21st Century Wilberforce Initiative. Dr. Brown received his Ph.D. in Divinity from the University of Edinburgh. He was an Associate Professor of Religion at East Texas Baptist University where he also served as the founding Director of the Freedom Center.
- In 2007, Dr. Brown was named as one of 35 global emerging leaders by the Baptist World Alliance, a network representing 40 million Baptists worldwide.
- Dr. Brown will speak at a dinner event on Monday evening, October 2, at the Great Hall of George W. Truett Theological Seminary.
- Dr. Brown will also deliver a lecture in Miller Chapel of Tidwell Bible Building from 3:30-5:00pm on Tuesday, October 3.
- More details will follow soon.
About the G. Hugh and Beverly C. Wamble Annual Symposia
Dr. G. Hugh Wamble taught church history at the Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Missouri from 1959 until his death in 1991 and was passionately devoted to the Baptist principle of religious liberty. He represented the Missouri Baptist Convention in legislative matters from 1967 to 1975 and was an acknowledged expert on the constitutionality of "parochiaid," government aid to religious schools. He was the author of The Shape of Faith, Baptists, Bible and Authority, Glossalalia in Christian History, and Through Trial to Triumph.
In 1997, at the request of Beverly Wamble, the Dawson Institute received a generous donation to establish the G. Hugh Wamble and Beverly C. Wamble Fund for Religious Liberty. In addition, the Institute received Dr. Wamble's extensive collection of theological and historical research, as well as his private papers and archives, which will be used to educate future generations of students.