Liang Wang, MD, DrPH,MPH, FACE
Associate Professor and Director of Epidemiology
Director of Epidemiology and Associate Professor
Dr. Liang Wang is Director of Epidemiology and tenured Associate Professor of Public Health at Baylor University. Dr. Wang joined Baylor in August of 2020, after serving as tenured Associate Professor and Assistant Professor at ETSU College of Public Health for the past nine years. He is a Fellow of the American College of Epidemiology. He has been a Visiting Scientist at Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health and a Visiting Scholar at UNC Chapel Hill Gillings School of Global Public Health. His research focuses on obesity, nutrition epidemiology, health education and promotion, etc. Dr. Wang has published over 100 peer-reviewed papers (e.g., International Journal of Epidemiology), book chapters (e.g., China Blue Book on Obesity Prevention and Control). He has been a PI and Co-I on multiple grants (e.g., NIH, PCORI). Dr. Wang has been serving as Board Director and President-elect of China Health Policy and Management Society (CHPAMS), Associate Director of China-Tennessee Health Education Training Institute, Chair of Public Relations of North America Chinese Society for Nutrition (NACSN), Founding President of the International Chinese Nutrition Young Scholar Network (ICNYSN), Founding President of Institute of Health Education and Lifecourse Promotion (iHELP). He has been awarded NACSN Outstanding Leadership and Service Award in 2016, ETSU College of Public Health (COPH) Dean’s Special Recognition Award for University Leadership Faculty Senate in 2017, ETSU COPH Dean’s Special Recognition Award for Service on the Faculty Council in 2017, and ETSU COPH College Foundation Service Award in 2018. He was nominated by ETSU COPH Dean for University Distinguished Faculty Award for Service in 2019.
- Nutrition epidemiology
- Health education and promotion
- Global health
- Maternal and child health
Selected research grants (funded)
Family context, child characteristics, child-rearing features, and obesity risks: a 15-year longitudinal analysis
- Serving as PI for $148K NIH R03 project
Developing a Research Agenda to Prevent and Control CVD in Central Appalachia
- Coinvestigated funded PCORI project valued at $250K
Childhood obesity prevention programs and related policies in China and comparison with other countries
- Coinvestigating $30K UNICEF project
Multilevel systems-oriented childhood obesity study in China
- Principally investigated subcontract of SUNY Buffalo for U54 Center P3 Grant for NIH/NICHD (U54HD070725-01) project
- One of three key research projects of the NIH U54 Center grant.
Population health improvement plan
- Coinvestigated funded $20K Tennessee Department of Health project
Influence of healthcare setting on obesity risk among U.S. children
- Served as PI for $8K+ funded project with ETSU Research Development Committee Major Grant
College students as facilitators to reduce adolescent obesity disparity
- Coinvestigated $970K+ project funded by NIH (R01)/Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities
The impact of maternal prenatal smoking on childhood obesity
- Served as PI of $1,499K funded project with ETSU Research Development Committee Small Grant
Selected publications (from >100 publications)
- Wang L, Liu X, Liu Z, Jia C. Digital media use and subsequent self-harm during a 1-year follow-up of Chinese adolescents. Journal of Affective Disorders (in press).
- Gao L, Bhurtyal A, Wei J, Akhtar P, Wang L, Wang Y. Double burden of malnutrition and nutrition transition in Asia: a case study of four selected countries with different socioeconomic development. Advances in Nutrition. doi:10.1093/advances/nmaa064 [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jun 12].
- Wang YX, Wu Y, Chen HG, Duan P, Wang L, Shen HQ, Lu WQ, Sun B, Wang Q, Zhang B, Chavarro JE, Zhang J, Pan A. Seminal plasma metabolome in relation to semen quality and urinary phthalate metabolites among Chinese adult Men. Environmental International. 2019; 129:354-363.
- Ozodiegwu ID, Mamudu HM, Wang L, et al. Country-Level Analysis of the Association between Maternal Obesity and Neonatal Mortality in 34 Sub-Saharan African Countries. Ann Glob Health. 2019;85(1):139.
- Wei JX, Bhurtyal A, Dhungana R, Bhattarai B, Zheng J, Wang L, Sun XM, Maskey M, Wang Y. Changes in patterns of the double burden of under- and over-nutrition in Nepal over time. Obesity Reviews. 2019; 20(9):1321-1334.
- An R, Xue H, Wang L, Wang Y. Projecting the impact of a nationwide school-based plain water access intervention on childhood obesity in the United States: a cost-benefit analysis. Pediatric Obesity. 2018;13(11):715-723.
- Yang B, Ren XL, Wang ZY, Wang L, Zhao F, Guo XJ, Li D. Biomarker of long-chain n-3 fatty acid intake and breast cancer: Accumulative evidence from an updated meta-analysis of epidemiological studies. Critical Reviews in Food Science Nutrition. 2018;14:1-13.
- Yan Y, Liu J, Wang L, Hou D, Zhao X, Chen H, Mi J. Independent influences of excessive body weight and elevated blood pressure from childhood on left ventricular geometric remodeling in adulthood. International Journal of Cardiology.2017; 243:492-496.
- Liu J,* Wang L,* Sun J, Liu G, Yan W, Xi B, Xiong F, Ding W, Huang G, Mi J. Bone mineral density interpretation and reporting among Chinese children aged 3 to 18: The China Child and Adolescent Cardiovascular Health (CCACH) (*co-first author). BMJ Open. 2017;7:e014542.
- Wei F, Nie G, Zhou B, Wang L, Ma Y, Peng S, et al. Association between Chinese cooking oil fumes and sleep quality among a middle-aged Chinese population. Environmental Pollution. 2017; 227:543-551.
- Zhao Y, Wang L*, Wang H, Wang Y. Fast food consumption and its associations with obesity and hypertension among children: results from the baseline data of the Childhood Obesity Study in China Mega-cities. BMC Public Health. 2017; 17(1):933. (*co-first author)
- Zhao Y, Wang L*, Xue B, Wang Y. Associations between general and central obesity and hypertension among children: The Childhood Obesity Study in China Mega-Cities. Scientific Reports. 2017 Dec 4; 7(1):16895. (*co-first author)
- Owusu D, Aibangbee J, Collins C, Robertson C, Wang L, Littleton MA, Boghozian R, Casenburg V, Mamudu HM. The use of e-cigarettes among school-going adolescents in a predominantly rural environment of central Appalachia. Journal of Community Health. 2017;42(3):624-631.
- Wang L, Southerland J, Wang K, Bailey B, Alamian A, Stevens M, Wang Y. Ethnic differences in risk factors for obesity among adults in California, the United States. Journal of Obesity. vol. 2017, Article ID 2427483, 10 pages, 2017. doi:10.1155/2017/2427483
- Wang Y*, Wang L*, Xue H, Qu W. A review of the growth of the fast food industry in China and its potential impact on obesity. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2016.13(11). pii:E1112.(*co-first author).
- Wang L, Collins C, Pitts M, Xie B, Wang Y. Breastfeeding reduces childhood obesity risks. Childhood Obesity 2017;13(3):197-204.
- Mamudu H, Timir P, Wang L, Sreenivas V, Alamain A, Hemang P, Panchal H. Association between multiple modifiable risk factors of cardiovascular disease and hypertension among asymptomatic patients in central Appalachia. Southern Medical Journal. 2017;110(2):90-96.
- Southerland J, Wang L, Slawson D. A cross-sectional study of weight misperception and health-related quality of life in Appalachian adolescents. Maternal and Child Health. 2017;21(1):168-176.
- Alamian A, Wang L, Amber MH, Pitts M, Ikekwere J. Infant sleep problems and childhood overweight: effects of three definitions of sleep problems. Preventive Medicine Report. 2016; 4:463-468.
- Tian X, Di Z, Yu L, Ren X, Chai Y, Ding F, Chen J, Southerland J, Cui Z, Hu X, Xu J, Xu S, Qian G, Wang L*. A study on the development of an infectious disease specific health literacy scale. BMJ Open. 2016;6:e012039 (*Corresponding author)
- Leinaar E, Alamian A, Wang L. A Systematic review of the relationship between asthma, obesity, and the effects of physical activity in youth. Annals of Epidemiology. 2016; 26(7):504-510.e6.
- Mamudu H, Paul T, Wang L, Veeranki SP, Panchal HB, Alamian A, Sarnosky K, Budoff M. The effects of multiple coronary artery disease risk factors on subclinical atherosclerosis in a rural population in the United States. Preventive Medicine. 2016; 88:140-146.
- Wang L. Cui L, Wang Y, Vaidya A, Chen S, Zhang C, Zhu Y, Li D, Hu FB, Wu S, Gao X. Heart rate and the risk of developing impaired fasting glucose and diabetes: the Kailuan prospective study. International Journal of Epidemiology. 2015; 44(2): 689-699.
- Wang L, Wang K, Gao X, Paul T, Cai J, Wang Y. Sex difference in the association between obesity and asthma in U.S. adults: Findings from a national study. Respiratory Medicine. 2015; 109(8):955-62.
- Liang Y, Hou D, Zhao X, Wang L, Hu Y, Liu J, et al. Childhood obesity affects adult metabolic syndrome and diabetes. Endocrine. 2015;50(1):87-92.
- Slawson D, Dalton W, Dula T, Southerland J, Wang L, Littleton M, Mozen D, Relyea G, Schetzina K, Lowe E, Stoots J, Wu T. College students as facilitators in reducing adolescent obesity disparity in Southern Appalachia: Team Up for Healthy Living. Contemporary Clinical Trials. 2015; 43: 39-52.
- Wang L, Slawson DL, Relyea G, Southerland J, Wang Y. Prevalence of and risk factors for adolescent obesity in southern Appalachia, 2012. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2014; 11: E222
- Liang Y, Hou D, Shan X, Zhao X, Hu Y, Jiang B, Wang L, et al. Cardiovascular remodeling relates to elevated childhood blood pressure: Beijing Blood Pressure Cohort Study. International Journal of Cardiology. 2014; 177(3):836-839.
- Dalton W, Wang L, Southerland J, Schetzina K, Slawson D. Utilizing Self-Reported versus Actual Weight and Height Data Contributes to Different Weight Misperception Classifications. Southern Medical Journal.2014; 107(6): 348-355.
- Wang L, Mamudu M, Alamian A, Anderson JL, Brook B. Independent and joint effects of prenatal maternal smoking and maternal exposure to secondhand smoke on the development of adolescent obesity: A longitudinal study. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2014; 50(11):908-915.
- Zhang M, Zhao X, Cheng H, Wang L, Xi B, Shen Y, Hou D, Mi J. Age- and sex-dependent association of FTO rs9939609 with obesity-related traits in Chinese children and adolescents. PLoS One. 2014; 9(5):e97545.
- Li Q, Xiong R, Wang L, Cui J, Shi L, Liu Y, Luo B. Associations of dietary habits, physical activity, and cognitive views with gestational diabetes mellitus among Chinese women. Public Health Nutrition. 2014; 19(8):1850-1857.
- Wang L, Mamudu HM, Wu TJ. The Impact of maternal prenatal smoking on the development of childhood overweight in school-aged children. Pediatric Obesity. 2013; 8(3):178-188.
- Wang L, Wang K. Age Differences in the Associations of Behavioral and Psychosocial Factors with Stroke. Neuroepidemiology. 2013; 41(2): 94-100.
- Liu X, Wang K, Wang L, Tsilimingras D. Microalbuminuria, Macroalbuminuria and uncontrolled blood pressure among diagnosed hypertensive patients: the aspect of racial disparity in the NHANES study. Hypertension Research. 2013; 36(12):1100-1106.
- Wang L, Anderson JL, Dalton WT, Wu TJ, Liu CX, Zheng SM, Liu XF. Maternal depressive symptoms and the risk of overweight in their children. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2013; 17(5):940-948.
- Wang L, Liu XF, Luo XG, Zeng M, Zuo LJ, Wang K. Genetic variants in the fat mass- and obesity- associated (FTO) gene are associated with alcohol dependence. Journal of Molecular Neuroscience. 2013; 51(2):416-424.
- Wang L, Alamian A, Southerland J, Wang K, Anderson JL, Stevens M. Cesarean section and the risk of overweight in grade 6 children. European Journal of Pediatrics. 2013; 172(10):1341-1347.
- Wang L, Dalton WT, Schetzina KE, Fulton-Robinson H, Holt N, Ho Ai-leng, Tudiver F, Wu TJ. Modeling aspects of home food environment with dietary intake and body mass index among overweight and obese children in southern Appalachia. Southern Medical Journal. 2013; 106(10):550-557.
- Wang L, Wu T, Liu X, Anderson JL, Alamian A, Fu MS, Li J. Pesticide exposure during pregnancy and low birth weight. WHO South-SEAJPH. 2012; 1(3):232-238.
BOOK CHAPTERS, MONOGRAPHS, AND MANUALS
- Tian X, Wang L. Co-Principal Editor. A Collection of Exemplary Health Education and Promotion Cases in China. Chinese Center for Health Education. People’s Medical Publishing House Co., LTD, 2019.
- Wang Y, Sun M, Wang L. et al. Chapter 3: Obesity Screening and Diagnosis. “Prevention and Control of Obesity in China”. Chinese Nutrition Society (CNS). People’s Medical Publishing House Co., LTD, 2019.
- Wang Y, Wang L. Child Obesity and Health. International Encyclopedia of Public Health, 2nd Edition. Expected Release: Nov 1, 2016. Print Book ISBN: 9780128036785. Elsevier Publisher.
- Wang K, Wang L. Molecular Aspects of Alcohol and Nutrition, First Edition edited by V Patel. Nov 1, 2015. Print Book ISBN: 9780128007730. Elsevier Publisher.
LETTER TO EDITOR
Wang Y, Wang L, Qu W. New national data show alarming increase in obesity and noncommunicable chronic diseases in China. European Journal of Clinic Nutrition. 2017; 71(1):149-150.
Wang L, Mamudu HM, Collins C, Wang Y. High prevalence of tobacco use and exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke among adolescents in low- and middle-income countries. Ann Transl Med 2017. doi: 10.21037/atm.2017.03.37
Selected published abstracts
- Wang L, Du S, Wang H, Popkin BM. Influence of dietary fat intake on bodyweight and risk of obesity among Chinese adults, 1991–2015: a prospective cohort study. The Lancet. 2018.392;S20.
- Alamian A, Wang L, Pitts M, Ikekwere J, Hall A. Infant sleep problems increase the odds of childhood overweight at grade 6: differential effects of commonly used definitions of sleep problems. Circulation. 2014;129(Suppl 1):AP106.
- Southerland J, Wang L, Dalton W, Slawson D. Weight misperception and health-related quality of life in Appalachian adolescents. Circulation. 2014;129(Suppl 1):AP287.
- Wang L, Alamian A, Southerland J, Wang KS, Anderson JL, Stevens M. Cesarean section associated with increased risk for overweight and obesity in grade six children. Circulation. 2013: 127: AP289.
- Wang L, Mamudu HM, Anderson JM, Alamian A. Maternal smoking during pregnancy and the risk of adolescent obesity. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2012;175(Suppl 11):1-145.
Selected reviewer experiences
JAMA Pediatrics, Internal Journal of Epidemiology, Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, Maternal and Child Health Journal, Obesity Reviews, Obesity, Pediatric Obesity, Childhood Obesity, International Journal of Obesity, Advances in Nutrition, Maternal and Child Nutrition, Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology, International Journal of Public Health
Academic editor: PLOS One
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2020-2022, President-elect, China Health Policy and Management Society (www.chpams.org)
- 2020-, Fellow of The American College of Epidemiology
- 2019, ETSU the University Distinguished Faculty Award for Service Nominee, Tennessee, USA, 2019
- 2019, Best Poster Presentation Award, CVD Appalachia Conference, Tennessee, USA, 2019
- 2019, Evidence-Based Optimal Nutrition Certificate, Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health
- 2019, Visiting Scientist, Harvard T.H.Chan School of Public Health (Mentor: Frank Hu)
- 2019, Fellow of The Obesity Society Nominee, USA
- 2019, Founder and President, Institute of Health Education and Lifecourse Promotion (iHELP)
- 2018, Foundation Service Award, ETSU College of Public Health
- 2017, ISCEP fellow
- 2017, ETSU Dean’s Special Recognition Award for Service for University Leadership Faculty Senate
- 2017, ETSU Dean’s Special Recognition Award for Service on Faculty Council
- 2017, Tennessee Service Award
- 2016-, Founder and President. International Chinese Nutrition Young Scholar Network (ICNYSN) (www.icnysn.org)
- 2016-2020, Board Director, China Health Policy and Management Society (CHPAMS)
- 2016-2017, Chair of Public Relation Committee, Chair of Webinar Committee, North American Chinese Society for Nutrition (NACSN)
- 2016, North American Chinese Society for Nutrition (NACSN) Outstanding Leadership and Service Award
- 2015, Invited speaker for the 12th China National Nutrition Science Congress, Beijing, May 16-18, 2015
- 2015, Invited speaker and judge for awards competition for the 1st International Congress on Childhood Obesity and Hypertension, Beijing, China, May 29-31, 2015
- 2014, Faculty Mentor of the Year Nominee, 21st Annual Compact for Faculty Diversity Institute on Teaching and Mentoring, Atlanta, GA, USA: Southern Regional Education Board (SREB)-State Doctoral Scholars Program
- 2009, SAS (Statistics Analysis System) Base Programmer for 9.1 Certification
- 2004, Top 5 National Trainee: GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceutical
College of Health & Human Sciences, HHPR
One Bear Place #97343
Waco, Texas 76798-7343
Office: Rena Marrs McLean Gymnasium 233.05