Shane Koppenhaver PT, PhD, OCS, FAAOMPT
Director of Research Baylor Doctor of Physical Therapy Program, Clinical Associate Professor
Director of Research & Clinical Associate Professor Baylor University Doctor of Physical Therapy Program
Shane Koppenhaver is a Clinical Associate Professor and Director of Research in the Baylor University Doctor of Physical Therapy Program. Dr. Koppenhaver received his Masters of Physical Therapy degree from the U.S. Army-Baylor University Graduate Program in 1998, and a PhD in Exercise Physiology from the University of Utah in 2009. He became board certified in Orthopedic Physical Therapy in 2001 and completed a fellowship in manual therapy through Regis University in 2009.
Dr. Koppenhaver has published approximately 70 manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals. He has received over $2,000,000 in grant funding for studies primarily concerning low back pain, spinal manipulation, dry needling, and the use of ultrasound imaging in the measurement of muscle function. Additionally, Dr. Koppenhaver co-authored an internationally selling textbook entitled Netter’s Orthopaedic Clinical Examination: An Evidence Based Approach, and was recently awarded the Army Medical Specialist Corps Researcher of the Year. His primary research interests concern mechanistic and clinical outcomes associated with manual therapy and dry needing, especially as they apply to clinical reasoning and management of patients with neuromusculoskeletal conditions.
Dr. Koppenhaver recently retired from the U.S. Army and has settled in Liberty Lake WA with his wife, two sons and dog. Outside of work, his passions consist of hiking, mountain biking, paddle boarding, and anything else outdoors in the mountains.
1. Morgan B, Deyle G, Petersen E, Allen C, Koppenhaver S. Dry Needling in the management of patients meeting clinical diagnostic criteria for subacromial pain syndrome: a case series. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy. 2019 Jul;14(4):637-654.
2. Koppenhaver S, Scutella D, Sorrell B, Yahalom J, Fernández-de-las-Peñas C, Childs J, Shaffer S, Shinohara M. Normative Parameters and Anthropometric Variability of Lumbar Muscle Stiffness Using Ultrasound Shear-Wave Elastography. Clinical Biomechanics. 2019 Jan 30;62:113-120
3. Albin SR, Fenter B, Smith A, Blommel H, McPoil T, Lowrimore C, Koppenhaver L, Bailey B. The Effect of Manual Therapy on Gastrocnemius Muscle Stiffness in Healthy Individuals. The Foot. 2019 Jan 11;38:70-75.
4. Ball A, Finnegan M, Koppenhaver S, Freres W, Dommerholt J, Mayoral del Moral O, Bron C, Moore R, Ball E, Gaffeny E. The relative risk to neurovascular structures as a function of patient positioning during trigger point dry needling of the iliacus muscle. Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy. 2019 Jul;27(3):162-171.
5. Albin S, Koppenhaver S, Marcus R, Dibble L, Cornwall M, Fritz J. Short-Term Effects of Manual Therapy in Patients after Surgical Fixation of Ankle and/or Hindfoot Fracture: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2019 Feb 13:1-32.
6. Hebert J, LeCara E, Koppenhaver S, Hoffman M, Marcus R, Albert W. Factors predicting clinical success with stabilization exercise are associated with lower levels of lumbar multifidus intramuscular adipose tissue in patients with low back pain. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2018 Dec. epub ahead of print.
7. Fernández-de-las-Peñas C, Arias-Buría J, Martín-Saborido C, Cleland J, Koppenhaver S, Plaza-Manzano G. Cost-Effectiveness Evaluation of the Inclusion of Dry Needling into an Exercise Program for Subacromial Pain Syndrome: Evidence from a Randomized Clinical Trial. Pain Medicine. 2018 Dec 1;19(12):2336-2347
8. Clewley D, Rhon D, Flynn T, Koppenhaver S, Cook C. Health seeking behavior as a predictor of health services utilization in a population of patients with spinal pain. PLOS ONE. 2018 Aug 1;13(8): e0201348
9. Clewley D, Rhon D, Flynn T, Koppenhaver S, Cook C. Physical Therapists Familiarity and Beliefs about Health Services Utilization and Health Seeking Behavior. Brazilian Journal of Physical Therapy. 2018 Jul-Aug;22(4):336-343
10. Koppenhaver S, Kniss J, Lilley D, Oates M, Fernández-de-las-Peñas C, Maher R, Croy T, Shinohara M. Reliability of Ultrasound Shear-Wave Elastography in Assessing Low Back Musculature Stiffness in Asymptomatic Individuals. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 2018 Apr;39:49-57
11. Albin S, Koppenhaver S, Morgan J, McPoil T, Fritz J. Timing of Initiating Manual Therapy and Therapeutic Exercises in the Management of Patients after Hindfoot Fractures: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Manual and Manipulative Medicine. 2018 Jul;26(3):147-156.
12. Sutlive,T, Golden A, Harm K, Morris W, Morrison, Moore J, Koppenhaver S. Short-term Effects of Trigger Point Dry Needling on Pain and Disability in Individuals with Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy. 2018 Jun;13(3):462-473.
13. Alodaibi F, Hebert J, Koppenhaver SL, Fritz J. The Fear Avoidance Model Predicts Clinical Outcome Following Lumbar Disc Surgery. PLOS ONE. 2018 Mar 5;13(3):e0193566.
14. Kelly J, Koppenhaver S, Michener L, Proulx L, Bisagni F, Cleland J. Characterization of tissue stiffness of the infraspinatus, erector spinae, and gastrocnemius muscle using ultrasound shear wave elastography and superficial mechanical deformation. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 2018 Feb;(38); 73-80.
15. Thelen MD, Koppenhaver SL, Allen SE, Bolduc MU, Quan RK, Sidwell AE. Real Time Inter-rater Reliability of a Novel Musculoskeletal Readiness Screening Tool. US Army Med Dep J. 2017 Oct-Dec;(3-17): 79-83.
16. Thelen MD, Koppenhaver SL, Gill NW, Shaffer SW. Effects of Technique-Focused Training in Conjunction with Physical Readiness Training on Army Physical Fitness Test Performance. US Army Med Dep J. 2017 Oct-Dec;(3-17): 43-51.
17. Salom-Moreno J, Alonso-Rivera G, María Palacios-Ceña M, Arias-Buría J; Koppenhaver S, Fernández-de-las-Peñas C. Effects of Low-Load Exercise on Post-needling Induced Pain After Dry Needling of Active Trigger Point in Individuals with Subacromial Pain Syndrome. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2017 Dec;9(12):1208-1216
18. Davis J, Koppenhaver S, L1 Epithelioid Hemangioma. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2017 May; 47(5):367.
19. Lane E, Clewley D, Koppenhaver S. Complaints of Upper Extremity Numbness and Tingling Relieved with Dry Needling of the Teres Minor and Infraspinatus: A Case Report.Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2017 Apr;47(4):287-292.
20. Koppenhaver SL, Walker MJ, Rettig CP, Davis JD, Nelson CJ, Su J, Fernández-de-las-Peñas C, Hebert JJ. The association between dry needling-induced twitch response and change in pain and muscle function in patients with low back pain: A quasi-experimental study. Physiotherapy. 2017 Jun;103(2):131-137
21. Arias-Buría J, Fernández-de-las-Peñas C, Palacios-Ceña M, Koppenhaver S, Salom-Moreno J. Exercises and Dry Needling for Subacromial Pain Syndrome: a Randomized Parallel-Group Trial. The Journal of Pain. 2017 Jan;18(1):11-18
22. Koppenhaver S, Embry R, Ciccarello J, Pike R, Trachtenberg R, Waltrip J, Walker M, Fernández-de-las-Peñas C, Croy T, Flynn T. Dry Effects of Dry Needling to the Symptomatic versus Control Shoulder in Patients with Unilateral Subacromial Pain Syndrome. Manual Therapy. 2016 Dec; 26: 62-69