CPR/First Aid and AED Instructor Certification
Class Size: Max 10 students
Course Fee: $150
Course Location: McLane Student Life Center (SLC), Room 308
To participate in the course, instructor candidates must:
- Be at least 16 years of age on the last day of the instructor course.
- Possess current American CPR First Aid, CPR and/or AED certification(s) or the equivalent.
- Pass First Aid/CPR/AED instructor pre-course test (with score 80 percent or better).
At the conclusion of the First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor course, instructor candidates should be thoroughly familiar with the program materials and should be able to:
- Exhibit the characteristics required of an American CPR Training representative and role model
- Conduct courses in a manner that helps participants to stay engaged in the learning process
- Perform applicable first aid, CPR and AED skills at an appropriate skill level
- Ensure participants' health and safety during training
- Maintain complete and accurate records and reports
- Plan, organize and conduct the first aid, CPR and AED courses in accordance with the requirements of the specific class they will be teaching
- Monitor participants' practice and provide corrective feedback and encouragement that is consistent with the skill chart
- Recognize that the requirements in the skill assessment tool are criteria for ascertaining the proficiency of a participant's performance
- Choose the appropriate course and materials to meet the specific training needs of participants or groups
To be certified as an instructor, candidates must:
- Successfully complete prerequisite requirement
- Attend and actively participate in all course sessions
- Successfully complete class activities including two practice-teaching assignments
- Score at least 80 percent (20 correct answers out of 25 questions) on the instructor written exam
Must obtain and retain the new First Aid/CPR/AED participant and instructor materials.