NSF MRI Program
The NSF MRI program allows limited submission from universities to secure or develop equipment. Given the 30% cost share requirement, all proposals requiring more than $500,000 cost share must receive prior approval by the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) before internal submission.
An MRI proposal may request up to $4 million for either acquisition or development of a research instrument. Beginning with the FY 2018 competition, each performing organization may submit in revised "Tracks" as defined below, with no more than two submissions in Track 1 and no more than one submission in Track 2.
- Track 1: Track 1 MRI proposals are those that request funds from NSF greater than or equal to $100,000 and less than $1,000,000.
- Track 2: Track 2 MRI proposals are those that request funds from NSF greater than or equal to $1,000,000 up to and including $4,000,000.
NSF MRI Timeline:
- Proposal concept development (best practices: 6 months prior to external submission)
- OSP approval (Submit to Lisa_McKethan@baylor.edu), required if cost share is greater than $500,000: October 5th
- Internal submission for limited submission (Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org): November 5th by 5pm (3 months prior to external submission).
- Internal decision announced regarding limited submission: December 5th by 5pm
- External submission window:
- January 1, 2019 - January 22, 2019
- January 1 - January 19, Annually Thereafter