Requesting to Change to the Pre-business major for Current Baylor Students
Requests to change to Pre-business from another major will only be accepted once all grades are in for a given semester through the last day to add a class for the next semester.
Currently, students may not change to Pre-Business until the end of the Spring 2019 semester once all grades are in.
To change to Pre-Business, current Baylor students must meet the following criteria:
- Have a minimum 3.0 cumulative Baylor GPA
- Have earned a minimum of 12 hours in residence at Baylor
- Have earned fewer than 45 hours in residence at Baylor at the beginning of the previous academic term
- Have not exceeded the retake policy:
- A student who has declared or desires to declare Pre-business may repeat only once no more than two of: ENG 1302, ENG 1304/3303, MTH 1308/1320, MTH 1309/1321, and the lower core business courses.
Students who are approved to change to the Pre-business major must follow all of the policies of the current catalog at the time they change.
Process for Requesting to Change Major During Eligible Times
For students interested in changing their major to Pre-business who meet the criteria listed above:
- In BearWeb go to Student Academic Services > Student Records > Change of Major Request and fill out the form. More information can be found here.
- Your request will be reviewed to determine if you meet the criteria to change to the Pre-business major. If so, you will be contacted within 2 business days with information related to processing your request. If you do not meet the criteria, you will be contacted to inform you of this.
- If you are eligible, you will then communicate with an advisor to discuss the Pre-business major.
- After communicating with an advisor, if you still want to change your major, your major will officially be changed.
Please note your major will not be changed until you have communicated with an advisor to discuss the possible change of major.
Common questions for students considering changing to the Pre-business major:
What are the first classes a Pre-business student takes?
- ENG 1302 (Thinking and Writing)
- ENG 1304 (Thinking, Writing and Research)
- BUS 1201 (Introduction to Business) – open to any major
- BUS 1101 (Connect to Hankamer School of Business) – only open to Pre-business majors
- BUS 1305 (Software Applications for Business Productivity and Decision Making) – open to any major
- MTH 1308 (Precalculus for Business students) or MTH 1320 (Precalculus) – if needed
- MTH 1309 (Calculus for Business students) or MTH 1321 (Calculus I)
Other degree requirements for the BBA degree can be found here.
Other admission requirements to be officially admitted into the business school include:
- ACC 2303 (Financial Accounting) – only open to Pre-business majors
- ACC 2304 (Managerial Accounting) – only open to Pre-business majors
- BUS 2101 (Career Management: Assessment and Discovery) – only open to Pre-business majors
- ECO 2306 (Microeconomics) – open to any major; 3.0 Baylor GPA required
- ECO 2307 (Macroeconomics) – open to any major; 3.0 Baylor GPA required
- QBA 2302 (Business Statistics I) – only open to Pre-business majors
Can I receive a prerequisite override to register for Pre-business only courses during early registration?
Students who are not Pre-business will not be given prerequisite overrides to register for BUS 1101, ACC 2303, ACC 2304, or QBA 2302. To register for these courses a student must officially be changed to Pre-business. Students will have to wait to modify their schedules at the end of the term should they meet the requirements to officially be changed to Pre-business.
If you have any further questions regarding this change of major information, please e-mail Ms. Hatt Fadal at Hatt_Fadal@baylor.edu.