Submit Your Company
The 2018 Baylor New Venture Competition opened for applications at 8:00 pm Central Time on August 1, 2017. The deadline to apply was October 3, 2017. We are no longer accepting applications for the 2018 Baylor New Venture Competition but encourage you to attend the competition event in February 2018.
Eligibility and Other Information
A brief outline for entering the Baylor New Venture Competition can be found in the tabs below. For details on these items, consult the Official Rules Document PDF.
Forming a Team
Team eligibility rules are briefly outlined below. For detailed eligibility rules please consult the Rules Document, Page 3 - 4.
To be eligible for the competition, your team must:
- Have 2 - 4 team members.
- Be current students (undergraduate, graduate or post-graduate) or have graduated no more than 18 months prior to October 3, 2017. Students who have graduated in August 2017, May 2017, December 2016, August 2016 or May 2016 are still eligible to participate.
- Have at least one member that is a current full-time university student; undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate student.
- Designate a point-of-contact person responsible for communication with competition organizers.
- Team members must have fundamental, equity-holding positions within the company and have a combined ownership of at least 25% of the founder's equity in the company.
- Not have members on multiple teams in the competition.
- Be present during the entire competition and at the time of the prize presentations to be eligible for prizes.
Plan eligibility rules are briefly outlined below. For detailed eligibility rules please consult the Rules Document, Page 4.
Business plans submitted by teams should be for ventures that are:
- Early stage
- For profit
- Could be seeking initial investment capital
Submissions should not include:
- Entity Expansions
- Real Estate Ventures
- Not For Profits
Executive Summary Format
All executive summaries must be submitted in PDF format using the Startup Compete submission site. Please access Startup Compete and submit your executive summary.
Components of an Executive Summary
For uniformity in judging, there are certain items that should appear in every submitted executive summary. These items are listed below. Please consult the Rules Document, Page 5 - 6 for additional format requirements:
- One Sentence Summary
- Overview of Business
- Problem Solved
- Product or Services Offered
- Market Overview
- Business Model
- Customers or Prospective Customers
- Sales and Marketing Strategy
- Competitive Environment
- Management Team
- Capital Needed
- Contact Info for the Team Leader
Business Plan Format
All business plans must be submitted in PDF format using the Startup Compete submission site. Please access Startup Compete.
Components of A Plan
For uniformity in judging, there are certain items that should appear in every submitted business plan. These items are listed below. Please consult the Rules Document, Page 6 - 8 for additional format requirements:
- Title/Cover Page*
- Table of Contents*
- Executive Summary
- Business Mission and Vision
- Business Description
- Market Analysis
- Description of Products and Services
- Organization and Management
- Marketing and Sales Strategy
- Financials (Must include 5-year projected Income Statement)
- Appendices (up to 10 pages, must be clearly indicated as appendix pages)
*Does not count toward 10-page total
Information Sessions at Baylor
There will be two general information sessions for the 2018 competition.
- Information Sessions: September 13 and 14, Foster Conference Room 222, 5:30 - 6:15 pm (Duplicate Information Sessions)
In order to gather an estimated attendance count for the sessions, please email Gib Reynolds if you are planning to attend.