Young Entrepreneur Awards
Baylor University's John F. Baugh Center for Entrepreneurship & Free Enterprise seeks to recognize the most promising high school student business owners in the country at its fifth annual Baylor Young Entrepreneur Awards on November 15, 2019.
Through the Young Entrepreneur Awards Program, Baylor provides student business owners with an opportunity to:
- network with Baylor faculty and students, as well as influential business leaders;
- compete for financial support for their ventures;
- explore options to pursue their entrepreneurial dreams at Baylor.
Friends, family, school personnel and community leaders are encouraged to nominate high school students who have shown the impressive initiative of starting a business. This exclusive event can be a transformative event to encourage and empower student entrepreneurs.
Best wishes to all of the young entrepreneurs!Baylor_YEA@Baylor.edu.
Additional information about the awards process can be found by clicking the tabs below. More details can also be found on the designated page for each topic.
Eligibility details are found by clicking here.
- Be a high school student during the 2019-2020 school year
- Have an established business that currently generates revenue (or has clear sight to revenue within 3 months of application date)
- Be the primary owner-operator of the business
- Operate a business in the continental USA or online
- Submit an application and accompanying video by September 13, 2019 (11:59 pm CST)
- Be able to attend the Young Entrepreneur Awards events on Thursday evening (November 14) and Friday (November 15) on Baylor campus in Waco, Texas
Process details are found by clicking here.
- Eligible students must be nominated by a completed nomination form via the Baylor Young Entrepreneur of the Year Awards website between April 1 - August 16. The number of nominations holds no weight in overall judging.
- Self-nomination is allowed
- Family, friend and/or peer nominations are accepted
- Once all nominations are collected, nominated students will be contacted by Baylor Entrepreneurship staff.
- Nominees will need to submit an application describing their business, along with a 4-5 minute video by September 13.
- Submissions will be judged and ten finalists will be invited to attend the awards ceremony event on the Baylor University campus.
- Winners will be announced at the ceremony and cash prizes will be awarded at that time.
- Nomination period: April 1 - August 16, 2019
- Family, friends and/or peers may nominate a student for consideration.
- Self nominations are also accepted.
- Nominations are only accepted through the official nomination form. Nominations by email, phone or any other means will not be eligible. Nominations will include the following:
- Nominee's name, contact information and school
- Short description of the business in three sentences or less
- Reason for nomination
Students will be contacted to ensure their acceptance of the nomination. Upon acceptance, nominees must submit the following materials for judging by September 13.
- Written application that includes updated contact information, a written summary of business, proposal for future plans, etc.
- Video summary of business, conducted by student nominee (4-5 minutes)
After all of the materials are collected, the nominations will be passed on to our judges to determine the finalists.
|August 16, 2019||Nomination Deadline (11:59 p.m.)|
|September 13, 2019||Material Submission Deadline (11:59 p.m.)|
|September 16-27, 2019||Judging Period|
|September 30, 2019||Finalists Notified|
|October 18, 2019||RSVP Deadline|
|November 15, 2019||Awards Event Date|
The Baylor Young Entrepreneurs are well deserving of these awards!
- Top-Ten Students
- QuickBooks Online Plus 12-month trial licenses
- Top 3 Winners
- QuickBooks User Certification exam or The Entrepreneurship and Small Business (ESB) exam and the Complimentary Professional QuickBooks ProAdvisor accountant virtual session on "Getting Your Company Setup" within your QuickBooks Online licenses.
- First Place
- $2,000.00 cash
- Young Entrepreneur Awards trophy
- BU Swag
- Second Place
- $1,000.00 cash
- BU Swag
- Third Place
- $500.00 Cash
- BU Swag
What is the application process?
- Students will submit an online application.
- Students will prepare a 4-5 minute video describing themselves and their business.
- Video must be uploaded to YouTube by 11:59 pm (CST) on September 13, 2019.
- The title of the video should be as follows: BusinessName 2019.
- The video YouTube link should be included in the application.
- Students will be notified of first round results by September 27 via the email address provided on the application.
What is the live competition like?
- Finalists will receive a special invitation by September 30 with information about Baylor Young Entrepreneur Award events.
- All finalists must attend the final competition at Baylor Young Entrepreneur Award event on November 14-15, 2019.
- At least one parent must accompany finalists to Baylor campus events in November.
- On Thursday, finalists and their guests will attend a reception at the McLane Stadium Baylor Club.
- On Friday, finalists will give a short presentation about their business and participate in a brief question-and-answer session from the judges.
- Finalists will be taken on a tour of the Baylor campus wrapping up with a Dr Pepper Float reception in the Foster Campus for Business and Innovation.
- Award winners will be announced at an evening reception following the competition.
How will the awards be handled?
The top three finalists in the Baylor Young Entrepreneur Award competition will receive a cash prize. First Place will receive $2,000; second place will receive $1,000 and third place will receive $500. All finalists will be presented with a Baylor Young Entrepreneur Awards trophy and polo shirt.
Who do I contact for more information or with questions?
Priscilla James at Baylor_YEA@baylor.edu or at 254-710-6204.