Welcome to the Hankamer School of Business
We are glad you have chosen to pursue a Graduate Accounting degree at Baylor University. Before your arrive, you will need to complete the steps below.
Within 30 days of Acceptance
- Official Documents - If your offer of admission is contingent upon receipt of official documents, you will not be able to activate your Baylor accounts or register for courses until Baylor receives all official documents, i.e. transcripts. Check your goBaylor Grad account to confirm the receipt of all official documents.
- BearID - Activate your BearID (Baylor email account). The BearID will serve as your primary means of communication with Baylor faculty and staff.
- BearWeb - Activate your BearWeb student account. BearWeb is Baylor's secure online system allowing students self-service access to information about your financial aid, grades and transcripts, and registration of classes as well as personal information such as addresses, phone numbers and emergency contacts.
- Graduate Scholarship - If you received an offer for a Graduate Scholarship award, please sign and return the award agreement to the Business School.
Additionally, all graduate students receiving a stipend must complete an I-9 and a W-4. See the Graduate School's Student Employment Forms webpage for more information and copies of the forms.
Within 30 Days of Acceptance
- International Students - The Business School works with Baylor's Center for Global Engagement to serve incoming international students.
- Health Form and Health Insurance - Complete and return the Baylor Health Form to Baylor's Health Center. Research the Student Health Insurance Plan available to Baylor graduate students.
NOTE: You will also need to provide proof of your Meningitis vaccination required by Texas state law. All students under 30 on the first day of class must have the meningitis vaccination at least 10 days prior to the first day of class. Details are available here.
- Financial Aid - Apply for financial aid through Baylor's Office of Financial Aid.
- Cost of Attendance - For financial aid purposes, the Cost of Attendance is an estimate of the total cost to attend Baylor and includes both direct and indirect costs. Direct costs are those billed by Baylor, such as tuition and fees. Indirect Costs are books, supplies, transportation, personal expenses and room and board. The Business School does assess a Graduate Program Fee of $75 in the fall and spring semesters for graduate accounting students.
Before Arrival On Campus
- Advising - Check the Accounting Graduate Programs pages in Canvas for advisement recommendations from Tim Thomasson, Graduate Program Director for the MAcc and MTax programs.
- Registration Holds - If you have a hold on your student account, you can identify the type of hold through your BearWeb account. New students often have a hold because personal information is incomplete. Personal data such as date of birth, ethnicity and religion are needed by Baylor for reporting purposes but were not required during the application process. Baylor never releases individual statistics to any outside entity. Statistics are ALWAYS summarized when provided to outside entities.
- Financial Settlement - A student's course registration for a given semester is not complete until all expenses are paid or the first payment of the Installment Plan (the minimum amount due) is received. Check your account in BearWeb to confirm you are financially settled.
- Textbooks - Students can access required textbook information on BearWeb. After registering, select the "get books" option to see required textbooks. If no textbooks show under a specific course, professors will share any required materials with you either prior to or on the first day of class.
- Canvas - Canvas is the software used by Baylor that allows you to communicate with instructors and fellow students within a course. Other features include 24/7 availability of syllabi, assignments, online grades, online attendance tracking, and Internet communication tools. You can access your course materials from any computer with Internet access. Log into Canvas.
- Microsoft 365 Products - Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus service is now available for all current Baylor faculty, staff, and students.
- Baylor ID Card - After you arrive on campus, you will get a Baylor ID card, which is used for library privileges, building access, lab access, meal plans, selected student functions, and sporting events.
The Business School provides a New Student Orientation for all admitted graduate accounting students. The New Student Orientation is delivered online via the learning management system, Canvas.
Through the Orientation module in Canvas, you will become familiar with Graduate School policies, procedures, and expectations. You will also affirm the Business School’s Expectations of Professional and Academic Conduct.
The New Student Orientation is required for all incoming graduate accounting students and will be available one month prior to the first day of classes.
Admitted students are required to complete the New Student Orientation before the first day of class. Your course registration may be dropped if you do not complete the Orientation module.