Learning Assistant (LA) Program
Research shows that YOU have the abilities and talents to help your peers!
What are Learning Assistants?
Learning assistants are high-performing students who have done well in a class and would like to help the instructor come up with active learning strategies.9>
As an LA you would:
- Meet with the instructor for whom you are an LA once a week to develop learning activities
- Attend class once a week (the time may vary depending on the needs of the faculty member) to implement those activities
- Potentially hold office hours to help students one-on-one
- Take an LA class (pedagogy class) with Dr. Parizi
Who can be a Learning Assistant?
LA candidates typically:
- Have a passion for certain topic
- Enjoy collaborating with a certain instructor
- Like interacting with students in small groups
- Are Biology Majors
- 3.0 or better in selected course
- Soph0more or higher classification
- Priority is given to Biology Majors but being a Biology Major is not a requirement
- Time commitment of 3-4 hours a week
Benefits of having Learning Assistants?
Benefits of being an LA
- Teaching experience
- Deeper understanding of subject matter
- Review of subject matter for those testing for graduate or medical school
Benefits to other students:
- Students learn better from their peers, in part because they are more comfortable asking their peers questions
- The smaller group size allows for more opportunities for questions
- Varied instruction will benefit students with different learning styles