Baylor University
Department of Biology
College of Arts and Sciences

Frequently Asked Undergraduate Biology Questions

1. What is a 1V90 or a 3V90 ? How do I register for these classes?
These are classes for undergraduates who wish to study individual topics not available in formal course format. If you are interested in a research or reading project ask a professor to be your director and to approve your topic. You may then register for the agreed upon hours. In most cases 1 hour credit is given for 3 hours of lab time, but this may vary.

2. Who do I speak to if I am interested in undergraduate research opportunities?
Undergraduate research is arranged by interviewing with the professor that would be supervising your research. If you are interested in research, investigate the type of research that is going on at Baylor and then contact the professor that you would like to work with and to have as your mentor. Research experience is an excellent way to find out what it is like to be a scientist and a great learning experience. Biology professors are excited about mentoring highly motivated students that are willing to work independently and diligently.

3. What is a closed class card? How do I get one?
If a class is closed you may still be able to get permission to enter the class. Pick up a green closed class card from the Biology Office and go to the professor who teaches the class to ask for permission. If you are given a signature, return the card to the office. You will then be able to register online.

4. Who advises biology majors? Do I have to be advised?
Any biology faculty member can advise biology majors. Only freshman are required to be advised, but it is always a good idea to talk to a professor about your degree plan. Pre-healthcare students may be advised by the premed office. We recommend that all biology majors choose an advisor and work closely with that advisor through out their degree.

5. What is SI?
Supplemental Instruction (SI) sessions are available for many introductory courses. In The Department of Biology they are offered for some of the Bio 1305 and Bio 1306 sections
as well as Bio 2401. This is a free program led by Baylor students who have successfully completed the course. Times and locations will be announced by your professor.

6. Are there any tutors available in biology?
Tri Beta has a list of tutors on their web site and posted in the class rooms.

7. What can you do with a Biology degree if you don't make it into med school or dental school or vet school, etc...
A biology degree is a well respected degree. Companies and graduate schools know that it is a rigorous degree and students earning this degree are motivated and intelligent.

8. Who should I speak with if I have other general questions concerning The Department of Biology?
If you are currently in a biology class, ask your professor. If not, you may contact our Academic Support Associate, Tamara Lehmann at

9. What is the policy regarding credit for internships and/or summer research programs?
The Department of Biology does not issue course credit for work completed during summer internships or research programs. The BIO 3V90 course option is limited to research conducted at Baylor and under the supervision of departmental faculty.

10. I'm interested in taking a graduate level course but am an undergraduate. Is this possible?
Absolutely! But in order to do so you will have to meet the following requirements:
• Have instructor consent
• Be in your senior year (at least 90 hours)
• Your overall GPA and your major GPA must be at least a 3.0
• Course load (combined undergraduate and graduate) cannot exceed 15 hours in the semester
• You must have all prerequisites completed for the course
If you're in good standing, you will need to contact the Graduate School located in Morrison Hall Suite 200 for the application.

Department of Biology