Air Traffic Control
The Aviation Sciences - Air Traffic Control Concentration of the BSA degree is for students who want a career in the control tower. This program is offered in conjunction with Texas State Technical College (TSTC) in Waco and requires Baylor students to apply to TSTC.
Air Traffic Control is selective and highly competitive. If you are considering this major, please be aware of the following criteria:
- All interested students must enroll in the Aircraft Dispatch concentration for the first year. The minimum GPA after the first year is 2.5 in order to qualify for selection.
- Students will compete for ATC concentration slots. Only the top 5 students will be guaranteed a position. Any additional students must compete for the remaining TSTC slots.
- Students must be US Citizens - original birth certificate and social security card will be required at registration. Males 18-26 must be registered with the Selective Service; verification will be made at registration.
- A 500 word essay on "Why I Want To Be An Air Traffic Controller" must be submitted by August 1st prior to the first Fall semester.
- Graduates must meet the FAA's medical requirements for hiring eligibility.
- Students must graduate the program by age 29. The FAA does not hire new controllers age 31 or older.
Please review the complete degree requirements for the Air Traffic Control Concentration at this link.
The descriptions for all required courses offered at Baylor are listed here.
The descriptions for all required courses offered at TSTC are listed here.