Aaron Dabney joined the Baylor Institute for Air Science as an adjunct lecturer in 2010. He grew up around what he calls "grassroots aviation," hopping frequent flights with his uncle and his World War II pilot grandfather in the family's 1946 Piper Cub. Just before transferring to Baylor from Victoria College in Victoria, Texas, he completed his first solo flight from an historic grass airstrip in that same Piper Cub.
He completed his undergraduate studies at Baylor in 2003, and a Master of Science in Education (also at Baylor) in 2009. Aaron has worked as a full-time Certified Flight Instructor since 2009 and has owned and operated Waco Flight Training at Waco Regional Airport since 2013.
Aaron is a member, active volunteer, and as of March 2022, appointed to the Board of Directors of the National Association of Flight Instructors (NAFI). He serves in several high-profile roles within that organization, including co-producer of the monthly MentorLIVE broadcast and co-chair of NAFI's Mentor Committee. As of 2022, he is the first and only flight instructor in Texas to earn NAFI's Master Flight Instructor accreditation five consecutive times, distinguishing himself as a Bronze Master Flight Instructor. Aaron is also a lifetime member of the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA).
When he's not flying or teaching, Aaron and his wife Alisa enjoy traveling and building businesses together.
- Baylor University, Waco, TX - Master of Science in Higher Education Student Affairs (2009)
- Baylor University, Waco, TX - Bachelor of Arts in International Studies (2003)
Professional Aviation Experience
- Owner and Chief Flight Instructor, Waco Flight Training (2013-present)
- Chief Flight Instructor, Waco Flying Service (2011-2013)
- Flight Instructor, Waco Flight Training (2009-2011)
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Baylor University Institute for Air Science (2009)
- Adjunct Lecturer, Baylor University Institute for Air Science (2010-Present)
Baylor University Teaching Experience
- AVS 1300 - Introduction to Aviation
- AVS 3305 - Flight Instructor Ground School
- AVS 4305 - Special Topics in Aviation
Publications & Presentations
- Thriving as an Independent Flight Instructor, National Association of Flight Instructors Mentor Magazine, December, 2010.
- Back to the Future: Fixing Flight Instruction with a Legend Cub, American Legend Aircraft Magazine, April, 2013.
- Teaching Conventional Gear, NAFI Mentor Magazine, March/April 2014.
- Any Landing You Can Walk Away From Is Not Good Enough, Ninety-Nines Tuscon Chapter Newsletter, Winter 2016
- The NAFI Master Flight Instructor Program: Here's Why, NAFI Mentor Magazine, January/February 2017
- Tangible Benefits: In Search of New Masters Part 2, NAFI Mentor Magazine, March/April 2017
- If You Build It (Will They Come?), NAFI Professional Development Program Course, March 2019
- New CFI's: Teaching on Purpose, NAFI MentorLive Broadcast, June 2021
- Master Flight Instructor Accreditation, National Association of Flight Instructors (2013-2015)
- Master Flight Instructor Accreditation, National Association of Flight Instructors (2015-2017)
- Master Flight Instructor Accreditation, National Association of Flight Instructors (2017-2019)
- Top 100 Most Impactful Faculty, Baylor University (Fall 2018)
- Master Flight Instructor Accreditation, National Association of Flight Instructors (2019-2021)
- Master Flight Instructor Accreditation - Bronze level, National Association of Flight Instructors (2022-2024)
- Appointment to Board of Directors, National Association of Flight Instructors (March 2022)
- 5,450 Hours Total Flight Time
- 4,500 Hours Flight Instruction Given
- Aaron has pilot in command and/or teaching experience in nearly 40 aircraft types, ranging from the Piper Cub to the Beechcraft Bonanza.