Completing the Teaching Capstone in Higher Education
After you have completed the requirements specified in Categories 1-5, you are ready to assemble a packet to submit to the ATL for review. The program completion packet includes the following items:
- Submission Checklist
- Capstone Essay
The checklist presents a personalized summary of your path through the capstone program. On it, you will record the options you took and provide a guide to the ATL reviewer for verifying your TeaCHE work.
Many of the activities required in successful completion of the capstone program include documentation. For those activities without a documentation requirement, the submission checklist records the necessary verification information. For example, the date upon which you attended the Teacher of Record Training (Category 2) will be used for validation with electronic attendance records.
The essay should be 5-10 pages, double-spaced, and adhere to the appropriate style requirements of your discipline of study.
In the essay, you should reflect upon your participation in the capstone program. What elements were most significant to you? What would you change about your participation? What would you change about the program? The aim of this requirement is two-fold: to provide a framework for your own continued development as an educator, and to contribute to the ongoing improvement of the Teaching Capstone in Higher Education.
The various categories of activities in the capstone program carry different requirements for documentation. These various forms of documentation should be grouped by category in the completion packet.
Category 1 and Category 2
- You provide basic information on the Submission Checklist. The ATL and Graduate School validate this information.
- You will only need to provide additional documentation upon special request from the ATL.
Category 3: Teaching Documents
- Append your statement of teaching philosophy and its accompanying Teaching Philosophy Peer Review Form.
- Append your two syllabi, each followed by its associated Syllabus Peer Review Form.
Category 4: Observations
- Append a Classroom Observation Reflection for your observation of a faculty member.
- Append a Classroom Observation Feedback for the observation conducted of you. Also append any report, notes or other documentation associated with the consultation and feedback after the observation.
- Finally, append a Classroom Observation Reflection to document your own reflection on being observed and the feedback you received.
Category 5: Self-Directed Study
- For each option selected in the Self-Directed Study activities list, provide documentation as instructed. Depending on the type of activity, you may be required to provide documentation in addition to the Activity Tracking Form. Conversely, the Activity Tracking Form is not required for all items in Category 5. All Activity Tracking Forms
Submission and Review
Once assembled, submit the packet items through Canvas to the Academy for Teaching & Learning for review.. Upon successful review, you will be notified via email. Participants who successfully complete the program will receive a Teaching Capstone in Higher Education certificate and the accomplishment will be recorded on their Baylor transcript.