10th Anniversary Symposium
On Friday, October 12, in honor of our tenth anniversary, the ATL will host Called to Teach, a symposium featuring presentations from educators across the University.
2nd Floor, Bill Daniel Student Center
Schedule of Events
9:10-9:50 -- Opening Presentation
- Robert Baird, "Baylor’s History of Teaching Excellence"
- 10:00-11:00 -- Concurrent Sessions
- Teaching Future Faculty
- Anne-Marie Schultz, "Forming Philosophy Teachers: Using a Plato Graduate Seminar as Pedagogical Training and Professional Development"
- T. Laine Scales, "Our Future Faculty as Stewards of the Academy"
- The Vocation of the Christian Teacher
- Nathan Alleman and Perry Glanzer, "The Outrageous Idea of Christian Teaching"
- 11:10-12:10 -- Concurrent Sessions
- Learning from Experience
- Mona Choucair, "Lovin’ the Skin I’m In: The Need for Stories via Young Adult Literature in the Secondary Classroom"
- Alexander Beaujean, "Learning From a (Master) Teacher: My Semester Observing Roger Kirk"
- Reflecting on Baylor’s Strengths and Opportunities
- Elizabeth Palacios, "Embracing Diversity through Cultural Humility"
- Elizabeth Vardaman, "In Praise of Fireflies, Skeletons, and the Abbott’s Pew: Distinctives in the Deep Heart’s Core of Baylor"
- 12:20-1:50 -- Lunch and Plenary Address
- Alison Cook-Sather, "An Evolving Call to Teach: Moving from Sharing Passions to Making Space"
- 2:00-3:00 -- Concurrent Sessions
- Testing Classroom Approaches
- Trey Cade, "An Inquiry-Based Approach to Teaching Space Weather to Non-Science Majors"
- Bill Bellinger and Rebecca Poe Hays, "Teaching the Psalms: A Vocational Reflection"
Instructor Behavior and Identity
- Byron Newberry, "Teacher Authority and the Student-Teacher Relationship: Searching for the Golden Mean"
- Andy Arterbury, "Responding to Bad Questions and Poor Answers"
- 3:10-4:10 -- Concurrent Sessions
Spirituality on Campus
- Burt Burleson, "Nurturing Spiritual Intelligence through the Classroom"
Candi Cann, "Christian Community: Integrating God’s Vision with Residential Life and Academic Teaching"
- Teaching for Life Beyond the University
- Jon Singletary, "Discerning Vocation in Professional Education"
- Laurel Zeiss, "Why Study Music?"
- 4:20-5:00 -- Closing Presentation
- Tom Hanks, "An Impossible Epilogue"