Course Makeover Workshop
Do you have a course that needs updating? Have you been assigned a course to teach that requires new preparation? Are you part of a teaching team that would like to devote time to course development?
The Course Makeover Workshop is designed for you.
May 20-22, 2020
Moody Library 104 (Active Learning Lab)
We are currently assessing the possiblity of conducting the Course Makeover Workshop online because of the COVID-19 restrictions. The Overview below reflects the design of the CMW as an in-person workshop. The principles would be the same online with obvious changes to the schedule and activities. Stay tuned!
In this three-day workshop, you will:
- Learn about current developments on learning theories, course planning, and syllabus construction.
- Construct (or significantly revise) a course plan and syllabus.
- Receive feedback from faculty colleagues.
You will spend time working independently and in a variety of large group and small group activities. These activities will provide opportunity for you to present your ideas and interact with your peers. Our goal is for you to leave the workshop with a revitalized syllabus.
Lunch is provided on days one and two; day three will include brunch at 10:00am.
Before coming to the workshop please complete the following tasks:
- Identify a course you would like to make over.
- Specify key problems with the course.
- Write down ideas you currently have for revision.
- These might include, additional or alternative texts; new assignments; active learning opportunities; additional technological tools or platforms; and/or restructuring the course content around themes or topics.
- Print a copy of your current course syllabus.