- Baehr, Jason. “Educating for Intellectual Virtues: From Theory to Practice,” Journal of Philosophy of Education 47, no. 2 (2013): 248-262. (PDF)
- Baehr, Jason. Cultivating Good Minds: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Educating for Intellectual Virtues. Printed by the author, 2015. Available online at Educating for Intellectual Virtues.
- Battaly, Heather. Virtue. Polity Press, 2015.
- Berkowitz, Marvin, and Melinda Bier. What Works in Character Education: A Research-Driven Guide for Educators. Washington, DC: Character Education Partnership, 2006.
- Delbanco, Andrew. College: What it Was, Is, and Should Be. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2012.
- Dow, Philip. Virtuous Minds. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2013.
- Henry, Douglas V., and Michael D. Beaty, eds. The Schooled Heart: Moral Formation in American Higher Education. Waco, TX: Baylor University Press, 2007.
- Hove, Rick, and Heather Holleman. A Grander Story: An Invitation to Christian Professors. Cru Press, 2017.
- Kilpatrick, William. Why Johnny Can’t Tell Right from Wrong: Moral Illiteracy and the Case for Character Education. Simon & Schuster, 1992.
- Lickona, Thomas. Character Matters: How to Help Children Develop Good Judgment, Integrity, and Other Essential Virtues. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2004.
- Ritchhart, Ron. Intellectual Character: What It Is, Why It Matters, and How to Get It. Jossey-Bass, 2002.
- Sertillanges, A.G. The Intellectual Life: Its Spirit, Conditions, Methods. The Catholic University of America Press, Reprint ed., 1992.
- Smith, David I., and James K. A. Smith, eds. Teaching and Christian Practices. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2011.
A collection of essays about building classroom practices around particular virtues. Examples include charitable reading, hospitality, freedom and constraint.
- Tishman, Shari, David Perkins, and Eileen Jay. The Thinking Classroom: Learning and Teaching in a Culture of Thinking. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1995.
- Tough, Paul. How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012.
- Wynne, Edward A., and Kevin Ryan. Reclaiming Our Schools: A Handbook on Teaching Character, Academics, and Discipline. Merrill Publishing Co., 1992.
- Zagzebski, Linda. Virtues of the Mind. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1996.