The Creative Arts Experience requirement was originally instituted to replace more traditional fine arts academic requirements. As an academic requirement, the creative arts expertise of faculty or guest artists should be integral to the event.
Before proposing an event for the CAE program, it is recommended that faculty and staff members review the objectives and criteria for the Creative Arts Experience Program.
The objectives of the Creative Arts Experience Program are to:
- Expose students to a wide variety of fine arts and cultural events on the Baylor campus and with Baylor-sponsored programs.
- Allow for maturation and growth in a student’s reception, interpretation, and appreciation of the fine arts and cultural events over an extended period of time.
- Foster cultural literacy, critical thinking, interpretive analysis, acceptable social interaction, human empathy, and patronage of the arts
Examples of Baylor-sponsored CAE’s include:
- Creative Art produced at Baylor by Baylor faculty or guest artists:
- Art exhibitions
- Theatre performances
- Musical reviews
- Dance performances
- Film screenings
- Fiction and poetry readings
- Lectures about important literary/artistic works
- Lectures about important literary/artistic works in world cultures
- Lectures by or about important writers or artists
The following events are not generally eligible for the CAE Program:
- Non-Baylor events
- Off-campus events not sponsored by the University
- General release films not accompanied by lectures and/or facilitated discussions by Baylor faculty with creative arts expertise
- Events whose purpose is primarily political
- Church/Religious activities not accompanied by lectures and/or facilitated discussions by Baylor faculty with creative arts expertise
- Presentations which are primarily STEM focused without a creative arts perspective
- Events whose purpose is deemed by the CAE Committee as primarily social in nature and with little intentional academic, cultural or artistic content
- Traditional student activities such as SING, Diadeloso, Steppin' Out, Homecoming events, etc.